Feb 20, 2012, 6:55 PM EDT
Asked why his strikeouts were down and his walks were up in 2011, Wilson replied, “Probably pitching with a hurt elbow the whole year, and a bad hip. You could blame a ton of things. But I’m the one throwing the ball.”
According to CSNBayArea.com’s Andrew Baggarly, Wilson threw a bullpen session at 75 percent today and was pleased with the results.
“I feel like I’m right on schedule,” Wilson said. “It’s a check on the checklist. It’s a standard bullpen. I don’t look too deep into it. But as far as pain, I was pain-free. No ailments, no tweaks, no inflammation.”
Boasting one of the game’s most expensive setup crews, the Giants can cover a Wilson injury pretty well between right-handers Sergio Romo and Santiago Casilla and lefties Jeremy Affeldt and Javier Lopez. Still, they’re at their best when Wilson is shutting opponents down in the ninth. Despite making just two appearances during the final six weeks of the season, Wilson ended 2011 with 36 saves in 41 opportunities. He was 48-for-53 in 2010.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 38
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 72
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 17
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (93)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)