Feb 20, 2012, 6:55 PM EDT
Asked why his strikeouts were down and his walks were up in 2011, Wilson replied, “Probably pitching with a hurt elbow the whole year, and a bad hip. You could blame a ton of things. But I’m the one throwing the ball.”
According to CSNBayArea.com’s Andrew Baggarly, Wilson threw a bullpen session at 75 percent today and was pleased with the results.
“I feel like I’m right on schedule,” Wilson said. “It’s a check on the checklist. It’s a standard bullpen. I don’t look too deep into it. But as far as pain, I was pain-free. No ailments, no tweaks, no inflammation.”
Boasting one of the game’s most expensive setup crews, the Giants can cover a Wilson injury pretty well between right-handers Sergio Romo and Santiago Casilla and lefties Jeremy Affeldt and Javier Lopez. Still, they’re at their best when Wilson is shutting opponents down in the ninth. Despite making just two appearances during the final six weeks of the season, Wilson ended 2011 with 36 saves in 41 opportunities. He was 48-for-53 in 2010.
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 15
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 87
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 24
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)