Feb 20, 2012, 12:48 PM EST
Red Sox owner John Henry admitted back in October that he was “personally opposed” to signing Carl Crawford, but then-general manager Theo Epstein and the rest of the front office talked him into approving the seven-year, $142 million contract.
I’m guessing Henry wouldn’t have been so open with those thoughts if Crawford hadn’t struggled in his first season with the Red Sox, but whatever the case Crawford told Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe that he wasn’t thrilled to hear that the owner of his team never wanted him in the first place:
I can’t do nothing about what he said … just go out and play. It was unfortunate he feels that way. It’s nothing for me to say to him. I wasn’t happy about it. I was a little surprised to hear the comments but you know it’s unfortunate he feels that way. Wish those words hadn’t came out.
Crawford went on to say that he’d meet with Henry if the owner wanted, but didn’t think it was necessary. You know, just in case you thought all the drama left with Epstein and Terry Francona.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 59
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 156
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (156)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)