Feb 20, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
Red Sox owner John Henry admitted back in October that he was “personally opposed” to signing Carl Crawford, but then-general manager Theo Epstein and the rest of the front office talked him into approving the seven-year, $142 million contract.
I’m guessing Henry wouldn’t have been so open with those thoughts if Crawford hadn’t struggled in his first season with the Red Sox, but whatever the case Crawford told Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe that he wasn’t thrilled to hear that the owner of his team never wanted him in the first place:
I can’t do nothing about what he said … just go out and play. It was unfortunate he feels that way. It’s nothing for me to say to him. I wasn’t happy about it. I was a little surprised to hear the comments but you know it’s unfortunate he feels that way. Wish those words hadn’t came out.
Crawford went on to say that he’d meet with Henry if the owner wanted, but didn’t think it was necessary. You know, just in case you thought all the drama left with Epstein and Terry Francona.
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 4
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 30
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 16
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (128)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (105)