Carl Crawford “wasn’t happy” to learn Red Sox owner John Henry didn’t want to sign him

Feb 20, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT

Liverpool Football club's co-owner, John Getty Images

Red Sox owner John Henry admitted back in October that he was “personally opposed” to signing Carl Crawford, but then-general manager Theo Epstein and the rest of the front office talked him into approving the seven-year, $142 million contract.

I’m guessing Henry wouldn’t have been so open with those thoughts if Crawford hadn’t struggled in his first season with the Red Sox, but whatever the case Crawford told Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe that he wasn’t thrilled to hear that the owner of his team never wanted him in the first place:

I can’t do nothing about what he said … just go out and play. It was unfortunate he feels that way. It’s nothing for me to say to him. I wasn’t happy about it. I was a little surprised to hear the comments but you know it’s unfortunate he feels that way. Wish those words hadn’t came out.

Crawford went on to say that he’d meet with Henry if the owner wanted, but didn’t think it was necessary. You know, just in case you thought all the drama left with Epstein and Terry Francona.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 20, 2012 at 12:53 PM

John “Hipster Glasses” Henry didn’t like the signing because it was too cool and mainstream at the time. Now that you’re in a lot of people’s rearview mirrors partially forgotten, Carl, Henry will totally dig you now.

2. ras1tafari - Feb 20, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I have NO sympathy for Carl Crawford.

By taking a $20+ MM deal per year, he agreed to be a franchise-type player. I understand it’s difficult to turn down generational-money, but he knew what accepting that deal meant, and the pressure that would come along with it. It is becoming increasingly obvious that it was an epic mistake by both sides.

3. brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Feb 20, 2012 at 1:03 PM

You have got to be kidding me. Who effing cares if your boss doesn’t like you. You have a guranteed contract for more money than your worth. Shut up and play.

• 5thbase - Feb 20, 2012 at 1:19 PM

So ballplayers shouldn’t talk to the media? You’re the same idiot who will complain when they don’t answer questions.

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Feb 20, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I know it might be diificult for you but in the 120 characters I used I did not mention not answer he shouldn’t answer the media. It shouldnt take you more than 5 or 10 minutes to re-read it, but it’s not in there.

• 5thbase - Feb 20, 2012 at 1:39 PM

He said very little when asked a direct question. Saying less would have been saying nothing at all. You are retarded. Thanks.

4. pisano - Feb 20, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Crawfords got a lot of balls to be upset with John Henry, he is a total bust so far and if I’m paying this dud 20mil per, I’d not only be unhappy, but I’d want to cut him if I didn’t have to pay this loser.

• 5thbase - Feb 20, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Oh what incredible nerve that Carl Crawford has! Someone asked him what he thought about comments his owner had made and he said that he wished they weren’t made, he wasn’t happy and he was surprised! I mean, golly, for incendiary comments like that he should be burned at the stake!

I use to have hope for our culture until I realized most people are stupid beyond belief.

5. Jonny 5 - Feb 20, 2012 at 1:07 PM

But in the end, it WAS ultimately a John Henry decision. I guess he want’s everyone to know that he was coerced into saying yes to the team signing Crawford? Why would he want to do that?

• mcsnide - Feb 20, 2012 at 7:07 PM

This. If I’m an owner, and I don’t feel right about a player for whatever reason, I don’t sign off on a 9 figure contract. And if I’m eventually convinced to sign off, I certainly don’t tell the press I wasn’t in favor of it after the guy has a bad year.

6. brewcrewfan54 - Feb 20, 2012 at 1:16 PM

I’d be unhappy if I was Crawford also. What purpose did it serve for Henry to say it publicly? I’m sure Crawford wished he played better himself. The owner piling on doesn’t change anything other than my opinion of John Henry. And that opinion isn’t very high right now.

7. daisycutter1 - Feb 20, 2012 at 1:30 PM

The Boston sports press is really the best bunch of shitstirrers around.

8. stex52 - Feb 20, 2012 at 1:34 PM

That’s not exactly the drift of what was going around last season. But this looks a little classless by John Henry, in any case. Can’t take the heat for his own decision making?

As to you, Carl, the path is easy from here. Go prove the boss wrong. Every year is a chance for redemption.

9. SOBEIT - Feb 20, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Mo money mo problems…deal with it. Better than dealing with no money different problems.

10. jason1214 - Feb 20, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Memo to JH,
    Say “no” next time.

Signed,
    Rest of MLB (laughing hysterically).

11. randygnyc - Feb 20, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Is this how Henry really wanted to start this season, after last years collapse? What, he didn’t think Crawford would be offended? Now he’s starting this year hurt, on the DL AND with a bad attitude. As a Yankee fan, I doesn’t get any better. There’s 2guys that must perform like God’s this year, Becket and Crawford, lmao now.

12. buffalomafia - Feb 20, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Why get mad? You could be unemployed?

13. deathmonkey41 - Feb 20, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Is it me or does John Henry look like a re-animated corpse?

14. mornelithe - Feb 20, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Could John have said nothing? Absolutely. Did he say he didn’t like Crawford? No, he didn’t. This could very well have been as much a business decision as anything else. Henry didn’t elaborate on why he personally opposed the deal, so we really have no insight into his reasoning.

I could understand Crawford being disappointed by the remarks, but I wouldn’t take it _that_ hard. It’s a business before anything, and there’s allot about it you don’t know as a player. Besides, he’s still makin bank lol.

15. tropboi11 - Feb 20, 2012 at 3:38 PM

He did nada for the Sox cause he is a Ray at heart, only if we had Red Sux money, he would still be covering LF at the Trop!! We miss ya Carl but keep doing what you in Boston plus we got Desmond Jennings now anyway (baby CC)

• kellyb9 - Feb 20, 2012 at 3:49 PM

If he was really a Ray at heart, he’d have taken a pay cut and played in Tampa. Apparently, he likes playing in front of people and making money (or maybe not based on his play). Either way, I’m a Phillies fan, so please return to your normal AL East team bashing.

16. huskersrock1 - Feb 20, 2012 at 8:50 PM

If he would play better the owner of the club might want him. Just a thought.

17. patsandsox - Feb 20, 2012 at 10:26 PM

WAAAAAAAAAAAA

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3725)