Carlos Beltran talked Jon Niese into getting a nose job

Feb 20, 2012, 2:48 PM EDT

jon niese nose

Adam Rubin of ESPN New York has an “after” picture of Mets left-hander Jon Niese, who got a nose job during the offseason at former teammate Carlos Beltran‘s urging. Seriously.

Beltran apparently even offered to pay for the operation, but then he was traded to the Giants in July. Niese had the surgery anyway and now says the rhinoplasty (that’s the official name, amusingly) has helped with his breathing.

As someone with a big schnoz the idea of a 25-year-old professional athlete getting a nose job seems weird to me, but then again I’m not constantly on television and getting my picture taken by people at my job.

More worrisome for Mets fans? Niese was pretty decent (4.39 career ERA) with the old nose, so what happens if he goes the way of Jennifer Grey with the new nose?

“Nobody puts Niese-y in a corner!”

1. The Dangerous Mabry - Feb 20, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Let the record show that a starting pitcher with a career ERA+ of 88 probably shouldn’t be considered “pretty damn good”. “Pretty damn kind of ok, with occasional flashes of good” might be alright, but I guess that’s a little wordy.

• The Dangerous Mabry - Feb 20, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Ah, Aaron has edited his praise of Niese to take it from “pretty damn good” to “pretty decent”. This is totally fair, and in light of it, my first comment now seems out of place. Crafty editing, Mr Gleeman.

2. randygnyc - Feb 20, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Um, I got a feeling this wasn’t just a nose job, but rather, something which stems from a far more serious birth defect. I’m thinking a cleft pallet. And, if this story is true, and Beltran offered, but didn’t come through in the end, for whatever reason, than my opinion of him has fallen even further, which I would have bet, wasn’t possible.

• The Baseball Idiot - Feb 21, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Niese makes more than enough money to pay for his own nose job.

Do you always let every kiss your ass after making the offer?

3. jimbo1949 - Feb 20, 2012 at 3:08 PM

This would be more relevant if he actually pitched with his nose, ‘s not happenin.

4. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 20, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Oh wow. So, Beltran hates Jon Niese, eh?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Thumbs me down all you want. He has a Stonehenge nose. I hope this is good for his breathing and whatnot, but was there a better man to do the operation?

5. Old Gator - Feb 20, 2012 at 3:54 PM

In these days of challenging economic circumstances, an unemployed nose with an offer of a job damned well ought to take it. I think we’re all sick and tired of our tax money going to support these layabout liberal proboscii.

6. jkay1818 - Feb 20, 2012 at 4:12 PM

He has a cleft lip, the surgery def. had something to do with that. His breathing could have been a factor too. It’s weird Beltran urged him to get one, I wouldn’t even know how a convo like that goes down. I wonder if Nielsen urged Beltran to have that gigantic mole removed from the side of his head and offered to pay.

• jkay1818 - Feb 20, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Auto correct, I meant Niese

7. cool10857 - Feb 20, 2012 at 4:14 PM

So now maybe Beltran can take his own advice and cut off that big ugly mole on his temple.

8. skerney - Feb 20, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Why is that reporter pointing a 1989 Game Boy at Jon Niese?

9. brianabbe - Feb 20, 2012 at 4:20 PM

We seriously need to have meaningful baseball games start again, like yesterday. This is pretty brutal to be making even the smallest of waves in HBT news.

10. cogitobaseballergosum - Feb 20, 2012 at 10:11 PM

So Niese’s nose is in the BSOHL?

11. toebbi29 - Feb 21, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Is anyone going to talk Carlos Beltran into removing that god awful mole that he has on his ear/temple. That looks way more horrendous than Niese’s nose ever did.

12. The Baseball Idiot - Feb 21, 2012 at 5:13 PM

By using artificial means to imrove his breathing, and therefore his performance, all future numbers put up by him will be suspect, and he is automatically disqualified from being a first-ballot Hall of Famer.

Quality of life and burden of proof be damned, he cheated.

At least once the season starts.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3799)