Feb 20, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
Derek Holland pitches for the two-time defending American League champions. A team which won its division by ten games last season and which signed the most sought-after pitcher on the market in Yu Darvish.
When 2012 season previews start appearing soon, you’ll see many people pick the Rangers to win the AL West. Most gambling websites have the Rangers as one of the best bets in baseball, listing them at 10/1 to win the World Series, behind the Yankees, Tigers and Angels (the Angels are at 13/2). By any measure, therefore, the Rangers are considered to be a strong contender. A good team that, if things break right, could be great.
Yet, for some reason, Holland thinks everyone is counting the Rangers out. Here he was in the radio yesterday:
The thing that kills me is that we’re being ruled out again. Nobody realizes what we’ve done. We’ve got the same team as we did last year, and it’s like we don’t have a chance to go anywhere. It’s like they’re ruling us out from even making the playoffs.
Sure, maybe it stinks that the gambling websites like the Angels more (or at least think that favoring them will separate gamblers from their money more easily), but I defy Holland or anyone else to find me an example of someone “ruling the Rangers out from even making the playoffs.” I bet there isn’t one reputable commentator who does so this year.
But hey, if it makes Holland feel better to think that, more power to him.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 18
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)