Feb 20, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
Derek Holland pitches for the two-time defending American League champions. A team which won its division by ten games last season and which signed the most sought-after pitcher on the market in Yu Darvish.
When 2012 season previews start appearing soon, you’ll see many people pick the Rangers to win the AL West. Most gambling websites have the Rangers as one of the best bets in baseball, listing them at 10/1 to win the World Series, behind the Yankees, Tigers and Angels (the Angels are at 13/2). By any measure, therefore, the Rangers are considered to be a strong contender. A good team that, if things break right, could be great.
Yet, for some reason, Holland thinks everyone is counting the Rangers out. Here he was in the radio yesterday:
The thing that kills me is that we’re being ruled out again. Nobody realizes what we’ve done. We’ve got the same team as we did last year, and it’s like we don’t have a chance to go anywhere. It’s like they’re ruling us out from even making the playoffs.
Sure, maybe it stinks that the gambling websites like the Angels more (or at least think that favoring them will separate gamblers from their money more easily), but I defy Holland or anyone else to find me an example of someone “ruling the Rangers out from even making the playoffs.” I bet there isn’t one reputable commentator who does so this year.
But hey, if it makes Holland feel better to think that, more power to him.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 118
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 156
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 56
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (173)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (167)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (157)