Feb 20, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
Derek Holland pitches for the two-time defending American League champions. A team which won its division by ten games last season and which signed the most sought-after pitcher on the market in Yu Darvish.
When 2012 season previews start appearing soon, you’ll see many people pick the Rangers to win the AL West. Most gambling websites have the Rangers as one of the best bets in baseball, listing them at 10/1 to win the World Series, behind the Yankees, Tigers and Angels (the Angels are at 13/2). By any measure, therefore, the Rangers are considered to be a strong contender. A good team that, if things break right, could be great.
Yet, for some reason, Holland thinks everyone is counting the Rangers out. Here he was in the radio yesterday:
The thing that kills me is that we’re being ruled out again. Nobody realizes what we’ve done. We’ve got the same team as we did last year, and it’s like we don’t have a chance to go anywhere. It’s like they’re ruling us out from even making the playoffs.
Sure, maybe it stinks that the gambling websites like the Angels more (or at least think that favoring them will separate gamblers from their money more easily), but I defy Holland or anyone else to find me an example of someone “ruling the Rangers out from even making the playoffs.” I bet there isn’t one reputable commentator who does so this year.
But hey, if it makes Holland feel better to think that, more power to him.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 0
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 16
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 50
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 62
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 30
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 93
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (93)