Do you like bad spring training photos? Then it’s your lucky day

Feb 20, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT

Camera

Dirty secret of spring training: not a ton goes on most days. All of the reporters get there first thing in the morning and most of them have stories they’re working on, requiring them to do an interview or two. But when that’s done, it’s a lot of just watching people do things. At least until the real games start and they get back into the game story/postgame interview routine.

With the advent of Twitter and smart phones and stuff, it also means a lot of reporters taking pictures of random workouts and posting the pics to Twitter.  And guess what: a lot of those pictures are bad. And now there is a place collecting them all for your pleasure:

The Bad Spring Training Twitpics Tumblr and its accompanying Twitter feed.

I love this for two reasons. First, it’s kind of funny.  Second: because when I get to Arizona in two weeks I can post my usually crappy pictures and now, because Bad Spring Training Twitpics exists, I can pretend that I’m taking crappy pictures ironically.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 20, 2012 at 1:04 PM

They’re not crappy, Craig. They’re artistic.

2. Jonny 5 - Feb 20, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Is that Derek Lowe on the home screen counting his Braves money? Is it? I saw a bunch from Clearwater already my favorite is of course Roy Halladay driving the most awesome 32 Ford roadster ever…

photo/1

• cur68 - Feb 20, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Roy better have secure parking: last year was a veritable rash of MLB player stuff being stolen, including cars. I’d hate to see that lil beauty in the hands of someone less gifted than Harry LeRoy Halladay III.

• jwbiii - Feb 20, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I think the wheels and the front end look awful. But he does at least some of the work himself, so that’s pretty cool.

3. phillyphreak - Feb 20, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Horrible spring training photos are the most beautiful thing I’ve seen since getting to work this morning.

As an aside, if one (me) were to start an unofficial HBT fantasy league would anyone be interested?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 20, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I would!

• phillyphreak - Feb 20, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Excellent. I was thinking a standard 5×5 roto league of 12-14 teams depending on the interest.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 20, 2012 at 2:59 PM

I like H2H but I’ll play in any format. I love fantasy baseball too much to be too particular.

• cur68 - Feb 20, 2012 at 2:14 PM

philly, I’m sorry to say that you should have made that statement about a month ago. Ours is filled now. You’ll have to start from scratch, unless someone drops out of ours (unlikely given how much smack talking [by me, I confess] has taken place), or if there’s another one on the go. Good luck.

• phillyphreak - Feb 20, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Snap, didn’t realize this already happened. Well hopefully there’s enough interest from others for yet another league.

• koufaxmitzvah - Feb 20, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I’ll join.

• phillyphreak - Feb 20, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Ok, for those interested I can either put the league registration information (on Yahoo) below or invite you directly if you leave an email address (so long as HBT is okay with this).

Let me know how you want to do it.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 20, 2012 at 3:30 PM

I like direct invites.

• phillyphreak - Feb 20, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Ok so for those interested leave your emails. I’ll email you when we have enough people.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 20, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Would you mind just listing yours instead? That way 1 person leaves an e-mail and the 12-14 of us can write to you, instead of 12-14 of us all posting ours.

• phillyphreak - Feb 20, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Yea sounds good. If you want in the league email me at phillyphreak@yahoo.com.

4. rooney24 - Feb 20, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Those pictures were beautiful……not so much for their artistic style, but for the fact that the baseball season is getting closer.

Although, that almost looked like former picture Eddie Guardado in the background behind Liriano. I don’t know that he is a coach, but it looked a little like him. Makes me curious now.

• rooney24 - Feb 20, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Sorry, “pitcher” not “picture” in the second paragraph.

• lifeatcountyditch12 - Feb 21, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Great eye, Rooney. “Everyday Eddie” will work with the Twins pitchers at spring training this year. He’ll accompany Tom Kelly, Jim Kaat, Tony Oliva, Terry Steinbach, Paul Molitor, and Rod Carew as additional help to the regular, major league staff.

5. yankeesfanlen - Feb 20, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Cellphone pictures suck! At least with even the cheapest point-and-shoot you can turn down the exposure to make them not look like they went through the washer in your jeans pocket.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5441)