Feb 20, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Dusty Baker’s two-year contract expires after this season, but the Reds manager told reporters yesterday that he won’t be discussing his status in the future, saying:
What kind of factor can it be? Like I’ve said before, how many people have a one-year contract, period? You know how many times I’ve been in this situation? I’ve been in it four, five or six times, whatever it is. You just have to keep proving yourself I guess. Some people do and some people don’t. I’m one of the guys that seems like he has to, to keep proving myself. At this point, very little bothers me. I’m secure in myself, secure in my ability, secure in my family, secure in my life.
Mark Sheldon of MLB.com notes that this is the second time in three years that Baker has entered the season as a “lame duck” manager uncertain of his future. Last time that happened was 2010, when the Reds won 91 games and the division title, so it didn’t exactly hurt his performance then.
In fact, 2010 was Baker’s first winning season as a manager since 2004 and having a losing record in five of the past six seasons is no doubt part of the reason why Baker has to keep proving himself. Baker had a .540 winning percentage in 10 seasons managing Barry Bonds and the Giants, but has a .497 winning percentage in eight seasons since then.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 23
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 17
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (75)