Feb 20, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Dusty Baker’s two-year contract expires after this season, but the Reds manager told reporters yesterday that he won’t be discussing his status in the future, saying:
What kind of factor can it be? Like I’ve said before, how many people have a one-year contract, period? You know how many times I’ve been in this situation? I’ve been in it four, five or six times, whatever it is. You just have to keep proving yourself I guess. Some people do and some people don’t. I’m one of the guys that seems like he has to, to keep proving myself. At this point, very little bothers me. I’m secure in myself, secure in my ability, secure in my family, secure in my life.
Mark Sheldon of MLB.com notes that this is the second time in three years that Baker has entered the season as a “lame duck” manager uncertain of his future. Last time that happened was 2010, when the Reds won 91 games and the division title, so it didn’t exactly hurt his performance then.
In fact, 2010 was Baker’s first winning season as a manager since 2004 and having a losing record in five of the past six seasons is no doubt part of the reason why Baker has to keep proving himself. Baker had a .540 winning percentage in 10 seasons managing Barry Bonds and the Giants, but has a .497 winning percentage in eight seasons since then.
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 4
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 56
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 46
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (247)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)