Feb 20, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
This time last year Kendrys Morales was hoping to be ready for Opening Day after missing most of 2010 with a broken ankle, but several setbacks followed and he ended up sitting out the entire season after undergoing a second surgery.
Morales is back in Angels camp now, still essentially rehabbing an injury from two years ago, but told Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles that the ankle “feels a lot better” than it did last spring and he “should be ready” for Opening Day.
Morales has reached “believe it when we see it” status at this point, but revealed that he’s “been running for about four months” already and no longer feels any pain.
Adding his bat to the lineup alongside Albert Pujols would be huge for the Angels, as Morales hit .302 with 45 homers and a .901 OPS in the 203 games immediately preceding the injury. After so much time on the sidelines he can’t be counted on to pick up right where he left off, of course, but even at something less than full strength a reasonably healthy Morales would further complicate the Angels’ first base/corner outfielder/designated hitter logjam.
In other words, Bobby Abreu might not want to unpack.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 33
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 93
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 85
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)