Feb 20, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
This time last year Kendrys Morales was hoping to be ready for Opening Day after missing most of 2010 with a broken ankle, but several setbacks followed and he ended up sitting out the entire season after undergoing a second surgery.
Morales is back in Angels camp now, still essentially rehabbing an injury from two years ago, but told Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles that the ankle “feels a lot better” than it did last spring and he “should be ready” for Opening Day.
Morales has reached “believe it when we see it” status at this point, but revealed that he’s “been running for about four months” already and no longer feels any pain.
Adding his bat to the lineup alongside Albert Pujols would be huge for the Angels, as Morales hit .302 with 45 homers and a .901 OPS in the 203 games immediately preceding the injury. After so much time on the sidelines he can’t be counted on to pick up right where he left off, of course, but even at something less than full strength a reasonably healthy Morales would further complicate the Angels’ first base/corner outfielder/designated hitter logjam.
In other words, Bobby Abreu might not want to unpack.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)