The Montreal Canadiens honor Gary Carter

Feb 20, 2012, 9:46 AM EDT

This is cool.  The Montreal Canadiens honored Gary Carter before last night’s game, complete with giant projections of old Carter cards on the ice and a great video with Carter highlights. Oh, and Youppi, back in his Expos jersey!

It starts in French, but goes English at the 50 second mark.  And warning: the tribute video they played, while great, is played over an Eagles song. I know that bothers some people because, you know, they’re the Eagles.

1. fatfirstbaseman - Feb 20, 2012 at 10:06 AM

It’s been a long day, and I hate the f’n Eagles!

• Old Gator - Feb 20, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I know how you feel. I feel the same way about meerkats.

• aceshigh11 - Feb 20, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Don Henley’s gonna tell me how to vote? I don’t bleepin’ think so!

I got two words for Don Henley, okay: Joe bleepin’ Walsh! Okay!

How long’s your ponytail now, Don?

• frankvzappa - Feb 20, 2012 at 10:44 PM

If you don’t like my music get your own fn cab!

2. yankeesfanlen - Feb 20, 2012 at 11:32 AM

1. Leave The Eagles Alone!
    2. Who is the announcer, Maurice Chevalier?
    3. Nice tribute.

• Old Gator - Feb 20, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Sounded more like Daniel Auteuil to me….but yeah, very nice. That big grin again.

Horrible mutant mascot, though. Almost meerkat horrible, but not quite.

3. cup0pizza - Feb 20, 2012 at 1:26 PM

That mascot (Youppi) was the Expos mascot and was adopted by the Habs (what the Canadiens are referred to, since the vast majority of you here don’t know sports) after the Expos bolted to D.C.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 20, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Wow…a post about a tribute to Gary Carter, and there’s cup0pizza. Go figure.

4. viewsfromseat13 - Feb 20, 2012 at 1:29 PM

What a classy move(hard for me to say as I am a black and gold fan) for a super classy man…

• deepstblu - Feb 20, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Agreed. A Phillies fan who remembers the last weekend of the 1980 season quite well would like to ask, can we get baseball back to Montreal someday? With a real ballpark this time? And put the team in the hands of somebody who won’t hack it to death with an axe?

5. foreverchipper10 - Feb 20, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Oh….the Eagles. Not the Philadelphia Eagles……I was expecting to hear “Fly Eagles Fly”….

6. cur68 - Feb 20, 2012 at 10:19 PM

I miss baseball called in French. I miss Carter’s name said in a French-Canadian accent. I always kind of hoped the Expos would be resurrected and that Carter would come back to manage them.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto