Feb 20, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
As expected, Juan Carlos Oviedo is having difficulty securing a visa in the Dominican Republic after the reliever formerly known as Leo Nunez was busted for falsifying his identity.
Marlins pitchers and catchers must report tomorrow, but Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald writes that Oviedo definitely won’t be there and “the Marlins aren’t sure when Oviedo will be given the green light.”
Marlins president David Samson said previously that the team is no longer counting on Oviedo being on the Opening Day roster, although that doesn’t necessarily mean he won’t be cleared for a visa and travel to the United States by then. It could mean he reports to spring training and MLB hands down a suspension that keeps him from pitching.
Oviedo avoided arbitration last month by agreeing to a one-year, $6 million contract, but much like Fausto Carmona/Roberto Hernandez Heredia in Cleveland the Marlins won’t have to pay anything if he can’t pitch for one reason or another.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 148
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 67
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (148)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)