Zack Greinke not talking contract, says there’s “no reason” for him to have an agent

Feb 20, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT

greinke getty Getty Images

Zack Greinke, who is representing himself after leaving CAA in December, said last month that he was open to discussing a contract extension with the Brewers. However, from his comments at Brewers’ camp today, it doesn’t appear as though a contract is in the front of his mind.

According to Todd Rosiak of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, Greinke said that he has no plans to publicly discuss his contract situation and added that there’s “no reason” for him to have an agent at the moment.

“I’m not even going to talk about that, sorry, because I get annoyed when other people talk about it,” said Greinke, referring to other players. “I already did earlier. It’s the same stuff. Nothing’s changed.”

Greinke, who posted a 3.83 ERA over 28 starts with the Brewers last season, is due to make $13.5 million this season before hitting free agency for the first time. While this winter’s free agent class didn’t feature many top-flight starters, Greinke, Cole Hamels and Matt Cain could all potentially be available next offseason.

1. brewcrewfan54 - Feb 20, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Sounds like Zack wants to go out there and pitch without distractions. I think that’s a pretty damn good idea.

2. proudlycanadian - Feb 20, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Obviously the 2013 season is many months away; but I wonder if the newly frugal Yankees would take a run at a free agent starting pitcher at that time.

• rip4gehrig - Feb 20, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I really like Greinke as a player and a person but with his “issues” I dont think he could handle New York.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 20, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I think that was debunked already.

• stex52 - Feb 20, 2012 at 11:25 PM

If he couldn’t handle it, he couldn’t pitch either. Not buying that analysis.

• paperlions - Feb 21, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Every player goes through ups and downs, gets hurt, and declines with age. In 27 ML cities, that is considered normal, in NY and Boston it is because they can’t handle the pressure.

3. jason1214 - Feb 20, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Hmmm why do I have the feeling, he’ll hire Boras by Sept and bolt Milwaukee…

• jason1214 - Feb 20, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Look Brewer fans I’m just stating the obvious. When a player hits FA, unless you are a big market team or are willing to pony up max dollars 99% that player is gone. Sorry.

• uberfatty - Feb 21, 2012 at 9:50 AM

And what’s your point? Players will sign with the team offering the most money – SHOCKER. Why are you stating the obvious? It’s obvious already. No need to apologize.

• dsmaxsucks - Feb 21, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Tell it to Ryan Braun. Or Rickie Weeks. Or Corey Hart. Or Frank Rodriguez. Hell Craig Counsell is a free agent and he signed with the Brewers just to work in their front office.

4. Kyle - Feb 20, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Goodness I like Greinke a lot.

5. jason1214 - Feb 21, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Yanks got Pineda. Grienke isn’t landing there.

• surefooted1 - Feb 21, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Kuroda is a one year thing. The Yankees are setup specifically for Hamels, Grienke, or Cain next year.

• skeleteeth - Feb 21, 2012 at 8:32 AM

I don’t see any of those guys ending up in the AL East next year.

• Ari Collins - Feb 21, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Cain’s not a particularly good fit for Boston or NY, since he’s such an extreme flyball pitcher, but Hamels was tailor-made for NY, and Greinke matches Boston’s park very well. What’s more, both teams will have a need and the money. I find it hard to believe at least one of them doesn’t end up in the AL East in 2013.

6. stex52 - Feb 21, 2012 at 8:16 AM

I thought about using the old adage that ” a lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client.” Then I realized he is already rich. Never mind. But I would think he would want to hire someone just to cover the legal stuff and paper work so he didn’t have to. Pitching is such a physical, mental and emotional strain; I know I wouldn’t mind someone else to cover the details.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey