Feb 21, 2012, 2:48 PM EDT
Angel Villalona re-signed with the Giants and dropped his $5 million lawsuit against the team after being cleared of murder charges in the Dominican Republic, but the one-time top prospect has not been granted a visa and won’t be reporting to spring training on time.
Giants vice president Bobby Evans said today that the visa has not been approved because Villalona is not considered an “elite athlete” due to what is believed to be medical or conditioning issues.
However, as Baseball America writer and Latin American prospect guru Ben Badler just tweeted: “There’s no way Angel Villaona’s visa issue is over his conditioning. Someone is hiding something.”
Stay tuned …
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)