Feb 21, 2012, 2:48 PM EST
Angel Villalona re-signed with the Giants and dropped his $5 million lawsuit against the team after being cleared of murder charges in the Dominican Republic, but the one-time top prospect has not been granted a visa and won’t be reporting to spring training on time.
Giants vice president Bobby Evans said today that the visa has not been approved because Villalona is not considered an “elite athlete” due to what is believed to be medical or conditioning issues.
However, as Baseball America writer and Latin American prospect guru Ben Badler just tweeted: “There’s no way Angel Villaona’s visa issue is over his conditioning. Someone is hiding something.”
Stay tuned …
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)