Feb 21, 2012, 8:20 AM EDT
And, unlike a lot of the BSOHL stories, this one is damn definitive and pretty impressive: Cecil has gone from 252 pounds last season to 219. Which, on a 6’1″ frame is quite noticeable.
But it’s not just the weight loss that’s impressive. It’s his attitude and everything. Including what he refers to as “some deep reading”:
He showed a reporter his iPhone reader to pull a quote from Tao of Jeet Kune Do by the late martial arts icon Bruce Lee: “All life is a truth that can be fully realized only when false notions of a separate self, whose destiny can be considered apart from the whole, are once forever annihilated.”
What does that mean to Cecil?
“Get rid of the bull [crap],” he said. “Do what needs to be done. Throw ego out the window and just do it.”
OK, sure. If that’s what it means to him, that’s all that matters.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 12
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)