Feb 21, 2012, 8:20 AM EDT
And, unlike a lot of the BSOHL stories, this one is damn definitive and pretty impressive: Cecil has gone from 252 pounds last season to 219. Which, on a 6’1″ frame is quite noticeable.
But it’s not just the weight loss that’s impressive. It’s his attitude and everything. Including what he refers to as “some deep reading”:
He showed a reporter his iPhone reader to pull a quote from Tao of Jeet Kune Do by the late martial arts icon Bruce Lee: “All life is a truth that can be fully realized only when false notions of a separate self, whose destiny can be considered apart from the whole, are once forever annihilated.”
What does that mean to Cecil?
“Get rid of the bull [crap],” he said. “Do what needs to be done. Throw ego out the window and just do it.”
OK, sure. If that’s what it means to him, that’s all that matters.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)