Feb 21, 2012, 8:20 AM EDT
And, unlike a lot of the BSOHL stories, this one is damn definitive and pretty impressive: Cecil has gone from 252 pounds last season to 219. Which, on a 6’1″ frame is quite noticeable.
But it’s not just the weight loss that’s impressive. It’s his attitude and everything. Including what he refers to as “some deep reading”:
He showed a reporter his iPhone reader to pull a quote from Tao of Jeet Kune Do by the late martial arts icon Bruce Lee: “All life is a truth that can be fully realized only when false notions of a separate self, whose destiny can be considered apart from the whole, are once forever annihilated.”
What does that mean to Cecil?
“Get rid of the bull [crap],” he said. “Do what needs to be done. Throw ego out the window and just do it.”
OK, sure. If that’s what it means to him, that’s all that matters.
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 53
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)