Feb 21, 2012, 8:20 AM EDT
And, unlike a lot of the BSOHL stories, this one is damn definitive and pretty impressive: Cecil has gone from 252 pounds last season to 219. Which, on a 6’1″ frame is quite noticeable.
But it’s not just the weight loss that’s impressive. It’s his attitude and everything. Including what he refers to as “some deep reading”:
He showed a reporter his iPhone reader to pull a quote from Tao of Jeet Kune Do by the late martial arts icon Bruce Lee: “All life is a truth that can be fully realized only when false notions of a separate self, whose destiny can be considered apart from the whole, are once forever annihilated.”
What does that mean to Cecil?
“Get rid of the bull [crap],” he said. “Do what needs to be done. Throw ego out the window and just do it.”
OK, sure. If that’s what it means to him, that’s all that matters.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 5
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 26
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 206
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (207)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)