Feb 21, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
Davey Johnson is no Sparky Anderson when it comes to hyperbole. Whereas Anderson would always talk up some young kid as the next Tony Perez and think that everything that ever happened was the most wonderful thing ever, Johnson tends to tell it like it is.
Which is why what he told CSNWashington.com’s Mark Zuckerman was somewhat eye-opening:
When Johnson says this Nationals squad has a chance to be better than the 1984 Mets franchise he inherited and watched improve from 90 wins to 98 wins to 108 wins and a World Series title in just three seasons … well, who are you to argue with the man?
“This club has more potential than that club,” Johnson insisted yesterday. “It actually has more athletes. It has a lot of gifted athletes.”
That’s no small praise. That 1984 team wasn’t yet hitting on all cylinders, but a young Darryl Strawberry and a young Dwight Gooden are about as good as it gets as far as talent-in-waiting goes. Seems like a lot to put on Bryce Harper and Stephen Strasburg — I view Jayson Werth as a George Foster figure — but it’s Johnson who has to manage those expectations, not us.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (248)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)