Feb 21, 2012, 1:34 PM EST
Remember Charlie Samuels, the Mets longtime clubhouse manager/travelling secretary? The guy who was alleged to be running a gambling ring, stealing Mets’ memorabilia, skimming hotel money and living way, way beyond his means? And who got arrested for it all last spring?
Yeah, well he pleaded guilty today and was sentenced: five years probation and an order of restitution.
Seems light to me, but really, the thing that may have saved his bacon the most is that, despite getting all of this illicit income, he reported it all on his taxes, claiming as much as $700,000 in income despite his $80,000 salary. On the one hand, that likely caused him to become the subject of the investigation in the first place. On the other: it kept him from a tax evasion charge, which likely would have meant mandatory prison time.
No word if he has to pay Jeff Francoeur back that $50K he was given.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)