Feb 21, 2012, 1:34 PM EDT
Remember Charlie Samuels, the Mets longtime clubhouse manager/travelling secretary? The guy who was alleged to be running a gambling ring, stealing Mets’ memorabilia, skimming hotel money and living way, way beyond his means? And who got arrested for it all last spring?
Yeah, well he pleaded guilty today and was sentenced: five years probation and an order of restitution.
Seems light to me, but really, the thing that may have saved his bacon the most is that, despite getting all of this illicit income, he reported it all on his taxes, claiming as much as $700,000 in income despite his $80,000 salary. On the one hand, that likely caused him to become the subject of the investigation in the first place. On the other: it kept him from a tax evasion charge, which likely would have meant mandatory prison time.
No word if he has to pay Jeff Francoeur back that $50K he was given.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 114
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (114)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)