Feb 21, 2012, 1:34 PM EDT
Remember Charlie Samuels, the Mets longtime clubhouse manager/travelling secretary? The guy who was alleged to be running a gambling ring, stealing Mets’ memorabilia, skimming hotel money and living way, way beyond his means? And who got arrested for it all last spring?
Yeah, well he pleaded guilty today and was sentenced: five years probation and an order of restitution.
Seems light to me, but really, the thing that may have saved his bacon the most is that, despite getting all of this illicit income, he reported it all on his taxes, claiming as much as $700,000 in income despite his $80,000 salary. On the one hand, that likely caused him to become the subject of the investigation in the first place. On the other: it kept him from a tax evasion charge, which likely would have meant mandatory prison time.
No word if he has to pay Jeff Francoeur back that $50K he was given.
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 5
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 29
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 68
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)