Feb 21, 2012, 1:34 PM EST
Remember Charlie Samuels, the Mets longtime clubhouse manager/travelling secretary? The guy who was alleged to be running a gambling ring, stealing Mets’ memorabilia, skimming hotel money and living way, way beyond his means? And who got arrested for it all last spring?
Yeah, well he pleaded guilty today and was sentenced: five years probation and an order of restitution.
Seems light to me, but really, the thing that may have saved his bacon the most is that, despite getting all of this illicit income, he reported it all on his taxes, claiming as much as $700,000 in income despite his $80,000 salary. On the one hand, that likely caused him to become the subject of the investigation in the first place. On the other: it kept him from a tax evasion charge, which likely would have meant mandatory prison time.
No word if he has to pay Jeff Francoeur back that $50K he was given.
- Grant Balfour’s deal with Orioles in “serious jeopardy” due to shoulder issue 10
- Report: Rakuten will not allow Masahiro Tanaka come to the United States 62
- Mariners showing “continued interest” in Ervin Santana 10
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! 89
- Dodgers re-sign left-handed reliever J.P. Howell to a two-year, $11.5 million contract 4