Hanley Ramirez is just fine playing third base

Feb 21, 2012, 3:55 PM EDT

hanley getty Getty Images

From the moment the Marlins signed Jose Reyes in December there was speculation about how willing Hanley Ramirez would be to shift to third base. At various points he was said to be fine with it, totally against it, and undecided.

Well, today in Marlins camp Ramirez took ground balls at third base and afterward made it pretty clear that he’s just fine with the move, telling Tom D’Angelo of the Palm Beach Post:

I never said I’m not going to do it. I’m just happy to be here, be back in the spring with my guys, my teammates, everybody’s happy. That’s what we need. We got to stay together through the year. We’re looking good. This is the best team I have been in six years with the Marlins.

Asked specifically about playing a new position, Ramirez replied:

Just catch the ball and throw the ball. … The only thing I can control is go out there and give my best. Play hard every day and give 100 percent.

For now he’s been asked not to dive because he’s still taking it slow following September shoulder surgery, but barring a major change of heart it’s probably safe to stop speculating about Ramirez’s thoughts on third base for a while.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM

If Hanley and Reyes are at 100% this season, holy crap.

• baseballisboring - Feb 21, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Nats and Marlins on the upswing, the Phils might be getting ready to start declining, the Braves always steady with some young guys…and then…you know, the Mets. The NL East has to be the most interesting division in baseball right now.

2. El Bravo - Feb 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Speculation is all it ever was. That and poor translating work.

• baseballisboring - Feb 21, 2012 at 4:17 PM

For the most part, but Ozzie did say something a week or so ago about him not being 100% on board with the move. If I had to guess I’d say he’s not particularly happy about it, but it just got blown up because it’s Hanley Ramirez, but there’s probably a seed of truth to it. Which I’m honestly fine with…cause baseball players are human beings and all that, and he’s saying the rights things to the media and seems honest about just wanting to do the job.

• El Bravo - Feb 21, 2012 at 5:06 PM

That’s true. That was the first tangible piece of news that actually directly spoke to Hanley not being excited about playing 3B. But like you said, this blew up “because it’s Hanley Ramirez” before the dude even opened his mouth on the subject.

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 21, 2012 at 4:29 PM

If (when) Reyes goes down with an injury, will they slide Hanley back to SS?

• cur68 - Feb 21, 2012 at 4:46 PM

This is the beauty of the move: yes they could slide Hanley back to SS and have an easier time filling third. In a way, the Marlins have Reyes Insurance, at least defensively.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 21, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Moving him back would either excite him or tease him.

4. Old Gator - Feb 21, 2012 at 5:47 PM

We can hope. I would like to wish that Ozzie would just shut up – but then, I also sometimes wish the K-T meteorite had left over a couple of small dinosaur species so I could have one as a pet.

• cur68 - Feb 21, 2012 at 7:25 PM

“Old Velociraptor”?

• Old Gator - Feb 21, 2012 at 10:03 PM

You saw what they did to that cow, but that’s nothing compared with what I can do to a veggie burger.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS