Feb 21, 2012, 3:55 PM EST
From the moment the Marlins signed Jose Reyes in December there was speculation about how willing Hanley Ramirez would be to shift to third base. At various points he was said to be fine with it, totally against it, and undecided.
Well, today in Marlins camp Ramirez took ground balls at third base and afterward made it pretty clear that he’s just fine with the move, telling Tom D’Angelo of the Palm Beach Post:
I never said I’m not going to do it. I’m just happy to be here, be back in the spring with my guys, my teammates, everybody’s happy. That’s what we need. We got to stay together through the year. We’re looking good. This is the best team I have been in six years with the Marlins.
Asked specifically about playing a new position, Ramirez replied:
Just catch the ball and throw the ball. … The only thing I can control is go out there and give my best. Play hard every day and give 100 percent.
For now he’s been asked not to dive because he’s still taking it slow following September shoulder surgery, but barring a major change of heart it’s probably safe to stop speculating about Ramirez’s thoughts on third base for a while.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)