Feb 21, 2012, 3:55 PM EDT
From the moment the Marlins signed Jose Reyes in December there was speculation about how willing Hanley Ramirez would be to shift to third base. At various points he was said to be fine with it, totally against it, and undecided.
Well, today in Marlins camp Ramirez took ground balls at third base and afterward made it pretty clear that he’s just fine with the move, telling Tom D’Angelo of the Palm Beach Post:
I never said I’m not going to do it. I’m just happy to be here, be back in the spring with my guys, my teammates, everybody’s happy. That’s what we need. We got to stay together through the year. We’re looking good. This is the best team I have been in six years with the Marlins.
Asked specifically about playing a new position, Ramirez replied:
Just catch the ball and throw the ball. … The only thing I can control is go out there and give my best. Play hard every day and give 100 percent.
For now he’s been asked not to dive because he’s still taking it slow following September shoulder surgery, but barring a major change of heart it’s probably safe to stop speculating about Ramirez’s thoughts on third base for a while.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 12
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 45
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 45
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 90
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)