Feb 21, 2012, 3:55 PM EDT
From the moment the Marlins signed Jose Reyes in December there was speculation about how willing Hanley Ramirez would be to shift to third base. At various points he was said to be fine with it, totally against it, and undecided.
Well, today in Marlins camp Ramirez took ground balls at third base and afterward made it pretty clear that he’s just fine with the move, telling Tom D’Angelo of the Palm Beach Post:
I never said I’m not going to do it. I’m just happy to be here, be back in the spring with my guys, my teammates, everybody’s happy. That’s what we need. We got to stay together through the year. We’re looking good. This is the best team I have been in six years with the Marlins.
Asked specifically about playing a new position, Ramirez replied:
Just catch the ball and throw the ball. … The only thing I can control is go out there and give my best. Play hard every day and give 100 percent.
For now he’s been asked not to dive because he’s still taking it slow following September shoulder surgery, but barring a major change of heart it’s probably safe to stop speculating about Ramirez’s thoughts on third base for a while.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)