Feb 21, 2012, 9:46 AM EDT
Love at first sight, courtesy of Jeff Seidel of the Detroit Free Press:
Maybe it was the way Prince Fielder showed up four days early for spring training. Or maybe it was the massive home run he hit during batting practice … Or maybe it was the way Fielder hung out in the clubhouse Monday morning and looked so comfortable and relaxed … Or maybe it was the way Fielder and Cabrera seemed to build an instant connection. They were inseparable on their first day together. They played catch together and batted together and stretched together and did sprints together and at one point, after most of the clubhouse had cleared out, they stood arm in arm and took several pictures of each other with their cell phones.
Spring training, people. It’s where the magic happens. And it’s where stories like these get written because, really, there’s not much going on yet. Remember those “A-Rod and Jeter are best friends” stories? Yeah.
Someone just be sure to bookmark it for when the Tigers are struggling at some point in the offseason and either Cabrera or Fielder gets an unwelcome day off in the middle of a slump. We’ll see if they remember what their love was like back when it was special, fresh and new.
(hat tip to @norunsupport, who happens to be my girlfriend, so I sorta have no room to talk here)
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 186
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (190)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)