Feb 21, 2012, 9:46 AM EDT
Love at first sight, courtesy of Jeff Seidel of the Detroit Free Press:
Maybe it was the way Prince Fielder showed up four days early for spring training. Or maybe it was the massive home run he hit during batting practice … Or maybe it was the way Fielder hung out in the clubhouse Monday morning and looked so comfortable and relaxed … Or maybe it was the way Fielder and Cabrera seemed to build an instant connection. They were inseparable on their first day together. They played catch together and batted together and stretched together and did sprints together and at one point, after most of the clubhouse had cleared out, they stood arm in arm and took several pictures of each other with their cell phones.
Spring training, people. It’s where the magic happens. And it’s where stories like these get written because, really, there’s not much going on yet. Remember those “A-Rod and Jeter are best friends” stories? Yeah.
Someone just be sure to bookmark it for when the Tigers are struggling at some point in the offseason and either Cabrera or Fielder gets an unwelcome day off in the middle of a slump. We’ll see if they remember what their love was like back when it was special, fresh and new.
(hat tip to @norunsupport, who happens to be my girlfriend, so I sorta have no room to talk here)
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)