Feb 21, 2012, 9:46 AM EST
Love at first sight, courtesy of Jeff Seidel of the Detroit Free Press:
Maybe it was the way Prince Fielder showed up four days early for spring training. Or maybe it was the massive home run he hit during batting practice … Or maybe it was the way Fielder hung out in the clubhouse Monday morning and looked so comfortable and relaxed … Or maybe it was the way Fielder and Cabrera seemed to build an instant connection. They were inseparable on their first day together. They played catch together and batted together and stretched together and did sprints together and at one point, after most of the clubhouse had cleared out, they stood arm in arm and took several pictures of each other with their cell phones.
Spring training, people. It’s where the magic happens. And it’s where stories like these get written because, really, there’s not much going on yet. Remember those “A-Rod and Jeter are best friends” stories? Yeah.
Someone just be sure to bookmark it for when the Tigers are struggling at some point in the offseason and either Cabrera or Fielder gets an unwelcome day off in the middle of a slump. We’ll see if they remember what their love was like back when it was special, fresh and new.
(hat tip to @norunsupport, who happens to be my girlfriend, so I sorta have no room to talk here)
- Roy Halladay is retiring 48
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 38
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 57
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 47
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)