Feb 21, 2012, 9:46 AM EDT
Love at first sight, courtesy of Jeff Seidel of the Detroit Free Press:
Maybe it was the way Prince Fielder showed up four days early for spring training. Or maybe it was the massive home run he hit during batting practice … Or maybe it was the way Fielder hung out in the clubhouse Monday morning and looked so comfortable and relaxed … Or maybe it was the way Fielder and Cabrera seemed to build an instant connection. They were inseparable on their first day together. They played catch together and batted together and stretched together and did sprints together and at one point, after most of the clubhouse had cleared out, they stood arm in arm and took several pictures of each other with their cell phones.
Spring training, people. It’s where the magic happens. And it’s where stories like these get written because, really, there’s not much going on yet. Remember those “A-Rod and Jeter are best friends” stories? Yeah.
Someone just be sure to bookmark it for when the Tigers are struggling at some point in the offseason and either Cabrera or Fielder gets an unwelcome day off in the middle of a slump. We’ll see if they remember what their love was like back when it was special, fresh and new.
(hat tip to @norunsupport, who happens to be my girlfriend, so I sorta have no room to talk here)
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)