Feb 21, 2012, 8:50 AM EST
Ladies and gentlemen, Indians team president Mark Shapiro:
Ever notice number of Spring Training stories on guys who lost weight or in better shape. Count ‘em.Amusing after 20 yrs of reading them.
— Mark Shapiro (@MarkShapiro) February 21, 2012
No idea what you mean, Mark.
Anyway: They keep on coming, so we keep passing them along. This one: Joe Saunders of the Arizona Diamondbacks. Part of it is pretty conventional:
[Saunders] was a regular at the D-backs’ training facility at Salt River Fields, with help and encouragement from strength and conditioning coach Nate Shaw. “Not only is it a big year for me, but it is a big year for the team. I wanted to come up here and see what I could do for myself. I feel like I’m in the best shape I’ve ever been in heading into a spring training”
But there’s also a hint of TMI for those interested:
The experience of being temporarily on the job market made him stronger and wiser — and maybe even a little bit sexier.
“My wife said my butt has gotten a little bit smaller,” Saunders said with a smile, the result of all the extra work he has done to prepare for this season and beyond.
Try to get that out of your mind as you watch Saunders pitch this year, sports fans.
Games start a week from Friday, people. I predict the BSOHL stuff will dry up by then. But for now, we don’t have much more to go with.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 33
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 86
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)