Feb 21, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Chris Marrero tore his hamstring while playing winter ball in the Dominican Republic and Bill Ladson of MLB.com reports that the Nationals prospect is not expected to return to game action until after the All-Star break.
Marrero would have been behind Adam LaRoche on the first base depth chart anyway, so he may have started the season in the minors even if healthy, but platooning with LaRoche may have been a possibility before the injury and this is a major setback for a 23-year-old whose big-league future was cloudy already.
Marrero was the 15th overall pick in the 2006 draft coming out of high school, but hasn’t developed the power or plate discipline needed to become a top-notch first base prospect. He hit .300 at Triple-A last season, but managed just 14 homers and 58 walks in 127 games for a relatively modest .825 OPS.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 67
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11