Feb 21, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Chris Marrero tore his hamstring while playing winter ball in the Dominican Republic and Bill Ladson of MLB.com reports that the Nationals prospect is not expected to return to game action until after the All-Star break.
Marrero would have been behind Adam LaRoche on the first base depth chart anyway, so he may have started the season in the minors even if healthy, but platooning with LaRoche may have been a possibility before the injury and this is a major setback for a 23-year-old whose big-league future was cloudy already.
Marrero was the 15th overall pick in the 2006 draft coming out of high school, but hasn’t developed the power or plate discipline needed to become a top-notch first base prospect. He hit .300 at Triple-A last season, but managed just 14 homers and 58 walks in 127 games for a relatively modest .825 OPS.
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 2
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 81
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)