Feb 21, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
That came after Santana threw another bullpen session and reported no problems, although he still has a long way to go after missing all of last season following 2010 shoulder surgery.
For now the Mets are planning to have Santana throw every five days throughout spring training, so he’ll need to avoid plenty of setbacks before a Game 1 start becomes a realistic possibility. Near the end of last season Santana appeared in multiple minor-league games with an eye on rejoining the Mets’ rotation for a handful of starts, only to be shut down again.
I’d set the over/under for Santana starts this season at around 20.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)