Feb 21, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
That came after Santana threw another bullpen session and reported no problems, although he still has a long way to go after missing all of last season following 2010 shoulder surgery.
For now the Mets are planning to have Santana throw every five days throughout spring training, so he’ll need to avoid plenty of setbacks before a Game 1 start becomes a realistic possibility. Near the end of last season Santana appeared in multiple minor-league games with an eye on rejoining the Mets’ rotation for a handful of starts, only to be shut down again.
I’d set the over/under for Santana starts this season at around 20.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)