Feb 21, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
That came after Santana threw another bullpen session and reported no problems, although he still has a long way to go after missing all of last season following 2010 shoulder surgery.
For now the Mets are planning to have Santana throw every five days throughout spring training, so he’ll need to avoid plenty of setbacks before a Game 1 start becomes a realistic possibility. Near the end of last season Santana appeared in multiple minor-league games with an eye on rejoining the Mets’ rotation for a handful of starts, only to be shut down again.
I’d set the over/under for Santana starts this season at around 20.
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 0
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 23
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 9
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 34
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 24
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)