That time Ron Gant and Connie Mack got into a bar fight

Feb 21, 2012, 12:33 PM EDT

Ron Gant topless

This has nothing to do with anything, but even I need a break from BSOHL stories for a little while.

Congressman Connie Mack IV — who is now running for Senate — is the great grandson of Connie Mack the baseball guy. But that’s not his only baseball connection! Nope, seems that he has a history with former Braves slugger Ron Gant. Specifically, Gant broke Mack’s ankle in a bar fight back in 1992:

The incidents came to light after a February 1992 brawl with then-professional baseball player Ron Gant at an Atlanta bar called Calico Jack’s. A waitress testified that Mack, who had been heavily drinking beer and Jagermeister shots all night, took the first swing at Gant. Mack testified he couldn’t remember how much beer he drank, but said he had only one liquor shot — of tequila.

Gant claims a drunken Mack repeatedly bumped into him, precipitating a fight. Mack claims Gant attacked him for no reason.

During the melee, Gant head-locked Mack. Mack testified that he couldn’t breath. So he starting striking and grabbing the ball player’s crotch. At a certain point, the club’s bouncers got involved and Mack broke his ankle. He sued Gant, who was held liable. But a jury awarded no damages.

Given that Gant was still with the Braves then, I’m surprised I had never heard about that. Oh well. Worth noting that Gant had his worst full season to date in 1992. I’m going to choose to blame those Connie Mack crotch shots/grabs as the reason for his big power dropoff that year.

Anyway, if you live in Florida and you want a Senator who is unafraid to punch and grab a ballplayer’s junk in a bar fight, Connie Mack should get your vote.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 21, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Good thing the Philadelphia A’s weren’t around – can you imagine Gant being traded there later on? AWKWARD!

2. brockohol - Feb 21, 2012 at 12:52 PM

anyone who sues because they got drunk, started a fight, and then got their ass kicked is a pos in my book

• b7p19 - Feb 21, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Agreed. If you start the fight while drunk and lose, you need to lick your wounds and chalk it up to youthful stupidity.

3. Jonny 5 - Feb 21, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Well with that Topps card of his you’re showing, and Mack wanting to become a senator, Maybe? Maybe Gant didn’t understand the whole bathroom toe tap under the stall wall bathroom etiquette? Never say “Yo’ what the f&^$% ?” Not unless you want to get rolled up on by a crotch grabbin’ future Senator wannabe??

4. bobulated - Feb 21, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I my experience waitresses are usually more right about what was on the tab than the drunk.

5. El Bravo - Feb 21, 2012 at 1:16 PM

I collected Ron Gant cards b/c I’m a dumbass. I still don’t recall the one posted above despite the hundreds of cards I own….I also never heard about this brawl either so go figure…

• b7p19 - Feb 21, 2012 at 1:24 PM

About that card, does it say “bust” on the trophy?

• El Bravo - Feb 21, 2012 at 2:29 PM

I believe it does…even better is that if you hover over the pic, it says the file name: “Ron Gant topless”….HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!! Did Craig name this image I wonder? HAHAHAHAHAHAH!

6. phillyphreak - Feb 21, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Next time Craig’s on the TV, I wonder if this Topps card will be blown up in the background.

In other news, I’m hijacking this thread to see if anyone else is interested in a standard 5×5 fantasy league. I guess there’s already one unofficial HBT league, so why not make it two? If so email me- same handle at yahoo.

7. rob0527 - Feb 21, 2012 at 2:22 PM

If u pick a bar fight and lose, just go home. No need to sue the other person all u do is look like u r looking for a pay day.

8. cur68 - Feb 21, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Ron Gant is among a group of people that I consider as the last on Earth I’d pick a fight with. This group includes (now) Dan Uggla, The T800 & T1000 Terminators, & Milla Jovovich (among many others). Anyone starting fight with the a guy built like Gant should count themselves as lucky to be in possession of a full set of teeth. Anyone trying to crotch punch Gant should probably count themselves as lucky to still be in possession of an attached head. All that being said, that’s one unique baseball card there, Mr. Gant . . . laundry day, was it?

9. notoriousbri - Feb 21, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Something you wanna tell us Craig? First you talk about liking Dan Uggla’s arms and now you post this shirtless Ron Gant picture? Looks like something I’d find blown up of your bedroom wall 15 years ago. Are you jealous that Mack got to grab his crotch?

10. The Baseball Idiot - Feb 21, 2012 at 5:27 PM

The Mack family has never forgiven the Braves for 1914. History is a bitch.

11. randygnyc - Feb 21, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I agree about if your drunk AND start a fight, just STFU and go home. With that said, there’s no proof that Mack was the instigator here. In fact, Gant was held liable (read, responsible) in court, although without monetary damages. Could it be a case here of 2 drunk dudes, being dicks?

12. farvite - Feb 21, 2012 at 7:39 PM

That time Kent Hrbeck threw a guy off first base..

13. mox19380 - Feb 22, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Remember the days when off the field activity often stayed off the radar? Let a low level prospect get into a bar fight today and it’s on the national media’s radadr within an hour.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5395)