Feb 21, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT
Yadier Molina recently indicated that he would be willing to discuss a contract extension with the Cardinals during the season, but the impending free agent is apparently going to follow the example of his friend and former teammate Albert Pujols.
Molina’s agent, Melvin Roman, told Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that his client plans to cut off contract talks once the regular season begins.
“Once the season starts he’s just going to concentrate on the game, play hard to win every game and try to bring another championship to the city.” Roman said. “After the season, I’m sure we would probably still discuss things.”
Roman will remain in Jupiter, Florida for the next several days and hasn’t dismissed the possibility that progress could be made prior to Opening Day, but Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak has downplayed the possibility of an agreement.
Molina, who turns 30 in July, has already said that he’s not going to offer any hometown discount to the Cards and Strauss suggests that he’s likely looking for at least a five-year extension worth in excess of $10 million per season.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 17
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 29
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 58
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 73
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 86
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)