Feb 21, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT
Yadier Molina recently indicated that he would be willing to discuss a contract extension with the Cardinals during the season, but the impending free agent is apparently going to follow the example of his friend and former teammate Albert Pujols.
Molina’s agent, Melvin Roman, told Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that his client plans to cut off contract talks once the regular season begins.
“Once the season starts he’s just going to concentrate on the game, play hard to win every game and try to bring another championship to the city.” Roman said. “After the season, I’m sure we would probably still discuss things.”
Roman will remain in Jupiter, Florida for the next several days and hasn’t dismissed the possibility that progress could be made prior to Opening Day, but Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak has downplayed the possibility of an agreement.
Molina, who turns 30 in July, has already said that he’s not going to offer any hometown discount to the Cards and Strauss suggests that he’s likely looking for at least a five-year extension worth in excess of $10 million per season.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 1
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 67
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 75
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 100
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (100)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)