Feb 21, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT
Yadier Molina recently indicated that he would be willing to discuss a contract extension with the Cardinals during the season, but the impending free agent is apparently going to follow the example of his friend and former teammate Albert Pujols.
Molina’s agent, Melvin Roman, told Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that his client plans to cut off contract talks once the regular season begins.
“Once the season starts he’s just going to concentrate on the game, play hard to win every game and try to bring another championship to the city.” Roman said. “After the season, I’m sure we would probably still discuss things.”
Roman will remain in Jupiter, Florida for the next several days and hasn’t dismissed the possibility that progress could be made prior to Opening Day, but Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak has downplayed the possibility of an agreement.
Molina, who turns 30 in July, has already said that he’s not going to offer any hometown discount to the Cards and Strauss suggests that he’s likely looking for at least a five-year extension worth in excess of $10 million per season.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)