Feb 21, 2012, 8:27 PM EST
After finalizing a contract with Raul Ibanez earlier today, the Yankees have quickly moved on to the next item on their agenda.
Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Yankees and Eric Chavez have agreed to a contract, pending a physical. Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com adds that it’s a one-year, $900,000 deal which includes incentives.
Chavez batted .263/.320/.356 with two homers, 26 RBI and a .676 OPS over 175 plate appearances with the Yankees last season. The 34-year-old missed a large chunk of the year due to a fractured foot and is a poor bet to stay healthy, but he currently projects as Alex Rodriguez‘s primary backup at third base. Barring an injury, Ramiro Pena figures to open the season with Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)