Feb 21, 2012, 8:27 PM EDT
After finalizing a contract with Raul Ibanez earlier today, the Yankees have quickly moved on to the next item on their agenda.
Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Yankees and Eric Chavez have agreed to a contract, pending a physical. Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com adds that it’s a one-year, $900,000 deal which includes incentives.
Chavez batted .263/.320/.356 with two homers, 26 RBI and a .676 OPS over 175 plate appearances with the Yankees last season. The 34-year-old missed a large chunk of the year due to a fractured foot and is a poor bet to stay healthy, but he currently projects as Alex Rodriguez‘s primary backup at third base. Barring an injury, Ramiro Pena figures to open the season with Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)