Feb 21, 2012, 8:27 PM EDT
After finalizing a contract with Raul Ibanez earlier today, the Yankees have quickly moved on to the next item on their agenda.
Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Yankees and Eric Chavez have agreed to a contract, pending a physical. Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com adds that it’s a one-year, $900,000 deal which includes incentives.
Chavez batted .263/.320/.356 with two homers, 26 RBI and a .676 OPS over 175 plate appearances with the Yankees last season. The 34-year-old missed a large chunk of the year due to a fractured foot and is a poor bet to stay healthy, but he currently projects as Alex Rodriguez‘s primary backup at third base. Barring an injury, Ramiro Pena figures to open the season with Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)