Feb 21, 2012, 8:27 PM EDT
After finalizing a contract with Raul Ibanez earlier today, the Yankees have quickly moved on to the next item on their agenda.
Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Yankees and Eric Chavez have agreed to a contract, pending a physical. Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com adds that it’s a one-year, $900,000 deal which includes incentives.
Chavez batted .263/.320/.356 with two homers, 26 RBI and a .676 OPS over 175 plate appearances with the Yankees last season. The 34-year-old missed a large chunk of the year due to a fractured foot and is a poor bet to stay healthy, but he currently projects as Alex Rodriguez‘s primary backup at third base. Barring an injury, Ramiro Pena figures to open the season with Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 23
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 82
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 8
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (82)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)