Feb 21, 2012, 8:27 PM EDT
After finalizing a contract with Raul Ibanez earlier today, the Yankees have quickly moved on to the next item on their agenda.
Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Yankees and Eric Chavez have agreed to a contract, pending a physical. Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com adds that it’s a one-year, $900,000 deal which includes incentives.
Chavez batted .263/.320/.356 with two homers, 26 RBI and a .676 OPS over 175 plate appearances with the Yankees last season. The 34-year-old missed a large chunk of the year due to a fractured foot and is a poor bet to stay healthy, but he currently projects as Alex Rodriguez‘s primary backup at third base. Barring an injury, Ramiro Pena figures to open the season with Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 0
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 19
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (99)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- PFT: Woodson returns to Raiders for up to $4.3M