Albert Pujols doesn’t like the Angels calling him “El Hombre” on their billboards

Feb 22, 2012, 2:33 PM EST

Baseball player Albert Pujols wears an Angels cap after he is introduced by the Los Angeles Angels during a news conference at Angels Stadium in Anaheim Reuters

Albert Pujols never liked the “El Hombre” nickname while he was in St. Louis, but the Angels decided to use it on their billboards promoting his arrival without asking him and Pujols isn’t happy.

Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles reports that there are 20 billboards around Southern California with the “El Hombre” nickname and Pujols’ picture (you can see a snapshot by clicking here).

Pujols explained in the past that he didn’t like the nickname because Stan Musial was “The Man” in St. Louis, and he reiterated that point to Saxon:

Like I say, I haven’t talked to them, but I prefer not to use that. I still have the same respect for him as I had, not just for what he’s done in baseball but for what he did for his country. That’s something you have to appreciate.

As someone who generally wishes there were more quality nicknames in baseball these days I’m sad that something as cool-sounding as “El Hombre” isn’t fine with Pujols, but it’s certainly reasonable and it sure seems weird that the Angels weren’t aware of the situation before posting the billboards.

1. klbader - Feb 22, 2012 at 2:39 PM

As someone who has gone through life with the last name of “Bader,” I can tell you without hesitation that if the Angels paid me more than $20 million per year for my services, I wouldn’t care in the slightest if they put up “Master Bader” billboards all over the greater Los Angeles area. I would find it within myself to be strong, and if I couldn’t be strong, I would privately cry myself to sleep every night on my platinum bed, which was stuffed with $100 bills, which is placed next to my fireplace that only burns money.

• stex52 - Feb 22, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I’m with you. If they paid me that money, I’d get comfortable “Sue Ellen” for a name. I’ve always been a fan of Albert’s, but he does seem to be getting a little full of himself.

• cur68 - Feb 22, 2012 at 3:09 PM

You know we’re all gonna call you “Sue” after this, doncha Suzie?

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 22, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I agree wholeheartedly……Suzie.

• stex52 - Feb 22, 2012 at 5:32 PM

So, no money? Just verbal abuse? I’ll try Darth next time.

• aceshigh11 - Feb 22, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Life ain’t easy for a boy named Sue.

• Francisco (FC) - Feb 23, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Darth Suzie…

• cur68 - Feb 22, 2012 at 2:56 PM

So not “Darth”, eh? Bummer, dude.

• klbader - Feb 22, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I got called “Darth” before we were old enough to know about “master.” I didn’t have a problem with Darth.

• stabonerichard - Feb 22, 2012 at 3:13 PM

How bout “The Master”?

• stabonerichard - Feb 22, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Looks like I was fashionably late with that one.

• Carl Hancock - Feb 22, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Obviously you complete missed the point in all of this.

Albert doesn’t dislike the nickname El Hombre because he just doesn’t like it, he dislike’s being called that out of a tremendous amount of respect for Stan Musial. Not that Stan cares, but Albert has stated many times that there is only one “The Man” and that is Stan. The Angels should respect his wishes.

Any fans ripping him for it or negative comments being directed at him are asinine. Ripping someone for being so respectful of Stan Musial is just plain stupid.

2. alexo0 - Feb 22, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I expect that Pujols will demand a trade because of this.

3. El Bravo - Feb 22, 2012 at 2:41 PM

He should be the Archangel…or just Gabriel.

4. deathmonkey41 - Feb 22, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I’m sure he can use some of the 250 million dollars to wipe away his tears.

5. bloodysock - Feb 22, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I think he perfers “El Hombre Muy Rico”

6. proudlycanadian - Feb 22, 2012 at 2:45 PM

El Gordo is appropriate. It is the name of a mega Spanish Lottery.

• kopy - Feb 22, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Did you win it too? I just got my e-mail this morning.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 22, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Proudlycandian: Hahaha! Outstanding!

7. phukyouk - Feb 22, 2012 at 2:48 PM

He is.. EL NINO! which, for those of you that do not know, is Spanish for, “THE NINO”

8. brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Feb 22, 2012 at 2:50 PM

I ain’t buying the false modesty BS. This is the same guy who had a statue built in his honor with donations from himself. I’ll bet his bat$hit crazy wife will go on the radio and get all Brenda Warner on there A$$e$ and claim it was gods will those billboards were put up.

• Old Gator - Feb 22, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Naaahhh, it’d be Santorum who claims it was God’s will – he got a phone call clarifying everything.

9. saints97 - Feb 22, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Didn’t God tell him to go to Anaheim because they made him feel more like family?

Well, El Codicioso, I guess this is what families do on the left coast. I wonder what the billboards will say when they get a load of his bat-flipping, pimp-jobs on warning track fly outs.

10. phukyouk - Feb 22, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Perhaps that is because he is really.. EL NINO! which, for those of you that do not know, is Spanish for, “THE NINO”

11. jason1214 - Feb 22, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Albert just shut up….seriously. Read your contract, I’m guessing there is SOMETHING in there about Angels using your likeness for marketing purposes w/o your permission.

• paperlions - Feb 22, 2012 at 3:07 PM

He didn’t complain about them using his likeness, did he? So….that wouldn’t matter, would it?

He complained about them using a nickname he never liked in the first place.

12. goforthanddie - Feb 22, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Tear up your contract and walk away, that’ll teach them a lesson.

13. AlohaMrHand - Feb 22, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Was he mad because of the billboard or because the Disneyland billboard across the highway was much bigger?

14. paperlions - Feb 22, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I don’t think he dislike of the nickname was only to do with Musial. Rather, he probably prefers not to be referred to as the Latin copy of an original, preferring to think of himself as the first Pujols….not the next Musial.

• paperlions - Feb 22, 2012 at 3:11 PM

*edit function*

*his

15. westcoastredbird - Feb 22, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I finally agree with something he has done this off season. He is correct there is only one El Hombre and his name is Stan Musial. Albert will always have that shadow cast over him. Musial’s statue in front of Busch Stadium was paid fror by the owners. Albert’s statue in front of his flailing restaurant was paid for by a mystery donor. Angel fans get used to your new high priced diva and stop calling him el hombre! El gato es gordo may be more appropriate!

16. stlouis1baseball - Feb 22, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Off to a rough start huh?

17. jason1214 - Feb 22, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Hey paperlions,
    Newsflash, if his likeness wasn’t nxt to the nickname he wouldn’t be complaining now would he?

• paperlions - Feb 22, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I wasn’t going to call you an idiot, it isn’t polite….but…you are being an idiot, and I strive for accuracy. Again, his complaint is with the nickname, not the likeness….if the nickname occurred by itself in obvious reference to him, he would still complain about the name.

18. cariedmann - Feb 22, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Lot of hate for someone doing something respectful.

• The Baseball Idiot - Feb 22, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Not to Stan the Man, it isn’t.

19. cariedmann - Feb 22, 2012 at 3:26 PM

A lot of hate for someone doing something respectful.

20. cup0pizza - Feb 22, 2012 at 3:34 PM

A lot of hate for someone doing something respectful.

21. aaronmoreno - Feb 22, 2012 at 3:46 PM

“The Machine” is better anyway.

22. drewzducks - Feb 22, 2012 at 3:46 PM

How about El Cartera

23. okwhitefalcon - Feb 22, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Not sure about the backlash towards Pujol’s here, this isn’t exactly new frontiers being crossed with AP and “The Man” nickname.

Seems like an organization that just spent upwards of 250 million bones buying an identity may wanna do a lil research before branding…

24. cosanostra71 - Feb 22, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I live very close to Angels Stadium and I have yet to see one of these billboards. I wonder where they all are.

• seanthegreatest - Feb 22, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Santa Ana (shocking). Most are in LA though (even more surprising). It’s all about demographic.

25. barroomhero80 - Feb 22, 2012 at 4:18 PM

keep those stupid billboards out of LA. It’s a Dodgers town and the angels are orange county….

• seanthegreatest - Feb 22, 2012 at 4:37 PM

As an Angel fan it pissed me off to no end when they changed the name. That said, the Dodgers are a joke and more and more Doyer fans are becoming Halo fans every day. Can’t say I blame them. Just like it would be hard to blame Mets fans for jumping ship to the Yankees. When the franchise is a joke it is hard to support them.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2785)
  2. W. Myers (2543)
  3. D. Ross (2208)
  4. C. McGehee (2129)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1983)
  1. J. Shields (1886)