Albert Pujols doesn’t like the Angels calling him “El Hombre” on their billboards

Feb 22, 2012, 2:33 PM EDT

Baseball player Albert Pujols wears an Angels cap after he is introduced by the Los Angeles Angels during a news conference at Angels Stadium in Anaheim Reuters

Albert Pujols never liked the “El Hombre” nickname while he was in St. Louis, but the Angels decided to use it on their billboards promoting his arrival without asking him and Pujols isn’t happy.

Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles reports that there are 20 billboards around Southern California with the “El Hombre” nickname and Pujols’ picture (you can see a snapshot by clicking here).

Pujols explained in the past that he didn’t like the nickname because Stan Musial was “The Man” in St. Louis, and he reiterated that point to Saxon:

Like I say, I haven’t talked to them, but I prefer not to use that. I still have the same respect for him as I had, not just for what he’s done in baseball but for what he did for his country. That’s something you have to appreciate.

As someone who generally wishes there were more quality nicknames in baseball these days I’m sad that something as cool-sounding as “El Hombre” isn’t fine with Pujols, but it’s certainly reasonable and it sure seems weird that the Angels weren’t aware of the situation before posting the billboards.

1. Brian Murphy - Feb 22, 2012 at 5:10 PM

I passed a Pujols billboard today that had “OMG!” on it.

Good to see the Angels’ marketing department is led by 16-year-old girls.

• IdahoMariner - Feb 22, 2012 at 6:17 PM

That might explain how they had no idea that he doen’t like being referred to as el hombre, also. Although, I didn’t picture them as 16 year old girls, because as a 16 year old girl, I knew stuff like this. I just pictured this being dreamed up by an ad team of frat boys, without any real affiliation or affection for baseball – like they googled pujols, saw el hombre and thought, oooo, cool, without even knowing it was a reference to Musial.

2. brewcitybummer - Feb 22, 2012 at 5:17 PM

I’m disappointed this didn’t turn into an argument over the best sports nicknames of all-time. I nominate Andre “Bad Moon” Rison and Dennys “Big Sweat” Reyes.

3. Carl Hancock - Feb 22, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Wow. A lot of negativity for what is essentially Albert being very respectful of Stan Musial.

Albert doesn’t dislike the nickname El Hombre because he just doesn’t like it, he dislike’s being called that out of a tremendous amount of respect for Stan Musial. Not that Stan cares, but Albert has stated many times that there is only one “The Man” and that is Stan. The Angels should respect his wishes.

But then I guess the Angels didn’t truly do their homework on Albert… otherwise they would have known he’s always made his opinion on this matter well known.

Any fans ripping him for it or negative comments being directed at him are asinine. Ripping someone for being so respectful of Stan Musial is just plain stupid.

4. richeich - Feb 22, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Pujols doesn’t care about Musial’s feelings. All he cares about is MONEY!

5. gorilladik81 - Feb 22, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Just shut your mouth, hit the ball, and bang hot broads Al, nobody cares about what you have to say

6. Jonny 5 - Feb 22, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Well I must admit El Hombre is much better than what many St. Louis fans are calling him lately.

7. jrod2go - Feb 22, 2012 at 9:25 PM

For 250M they should be able to call him El Pollo Loco if they want.

8. dexterismyhero - Feb 23, 2012 at 11:14 AM

They could just change the signs to say “Hey Hey Hey”!!!!

9. parstl - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I’m from St. Louis and envy LA fans who will have the pleasure of watching Albert on an everyday basis. You will not find a more hard working and dedicated player. To those fans who are criticizing him for expressing his dislike for the “El Hombre” billboards, I think he has earned the right to make such comments as he is THE best “clean” (sorry, A-Rod, Manny, Roger, Barry etc) player of this generation. The Angels did a great job pursuing and signing him but their marketing folks must have done a poor job researching him as he has commented consistently that he does not like the “El Hombre” tag. They could have simply used “The Machine” or simply “”Albert” on the billboards and made as much impact. Albert, though he was born in the Dominican Rep., was raised in the Midwest where people don’t play the media games that they do on the two Coasts. Albert believes in civic service but will not pretend to be Jay Leno in a baseball uniform. He’s a baseball player, not a talk show host. Appreciate it and enjoy.

10. chitownmatt - Feb 23, 2012 at 3:40 PM

For God’s sake, what could possibly be worse than Poo-hole???

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2983)