Feb 22, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
The long epic battle between the Yankees and the Red Sox is played out mostly on the baseball diamond. But there are minor skirmishes here and there. Like the time that the guy in Florida bought the domain name matching the name of the Red Sox’ new spring training complex and directed it to the New York Yankees’ website:
As of Tuesday afternoon, typing jetbluepark.com into a Web browser resulted in the New York Yankees homepage being unfurled onto the screen.
“It does?” said Sam Kennedy, executive vice president and chief operating officer of the Boston Red Sox, when told Tuesday afternoon. Kennedy then watched as Red Sox senior adviser Charlie Steinberg typed jetbluepark.com onto his phone. “We’re going to have to look into that.”
But it wasn’t a Yankees fan who did it. Just some dude who lives in Fort Myers who thought it would be funny. Seems he just bought the domain last year before anyone associated with the Red Sox thought to do it.
Good thing the Stop Online Piracy Act is still in legislative limbo. If it was the law now the Red Sox probably would have the legal right to have the man shot. For starters.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 0
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 54
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)