Feb 22, 2012, 4:10 PM EDT
Lou Piniella has been out of the game for a year, randomly showing up as an analyst here and there. But now he has a more permanent job: YES Network has hired him to do some Yankees games.
Not a ton of them — between 20-30 of them — but more than his cameo appearances in the studio for Fox and stuff. He’ll do some pregame and some in-game analysis.
This is obviously not Piniella’s first dance with the Yankees. He played outfield in New York for 11 seasons. Then he managed them and served a brief stint as their general manager, back when ex-managers and ballplayers used to get general manager jobs. After he left the Cubs last year, Hank Steinbrenner offered Piniella a job as a front office adviser, but Lou declined.
Now he’s back in New York.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)