Feb 22, 2012, 4:10 PM EDT
Lou Piniella has been out of the game for a year, randomly showing up as an analyst here and there. But now he has a more permanent job: YES Network has hired him to do some Yankees games.
Not a ton of them — between 20-30 of them — but more than his cameo appearances in the studio for Fox and stuff. He’ll do some pregame and some in-game analysis.
This is obviously not Piniella’s first dance with the Yankees. He played outfield in New York for 11 seasons. Then he managed them and served a brief stint as their general manager, back when ex-managers and ballplayers used to get general manager jobs. After he left the Cubs last year, Hank Steinbrenner offered Piniella a job as a front office adviser, but Lou declined.
Now he’s back in New York.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (146)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)