Feb 22, 2012, 4:10 PM EDT
Lou Piniella has been out of the game for a year, randomly showing up as an analyst here and there. But now he has a more permanent job: YES Network has hired him to do some Yankees games.
Not a ton of them — between 20-30 of them — but more than his cameo appearances in the studio for Fox and stuff. He’ll do some pregame and some in-game analysis.
This is obviously not Piniella’s first dance with the Yankees. He played outfield in New York for 11 seasons. Then he managed them and served a brief stint as their general manager, back when ex-managers and ballplayers used to get general manager jobs. After he left the Cubs last year, Hank Steinbrenner offered Piniella a job as a front office adviser, but Lou declined.
Now he’s back in New York.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (156)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)