Feb 22, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
Last fall we learned that the city of Miami faces an unexpected $1.2 million property tax bill as a result of its largess to Jeff Loria and the Miami Marlins. Seems the city thought that a stadium parking garage it built and paid for is not going to be exempt from property taxes because, despite the fact that it is a publicly-owned facility, it is used for the benefit of a private business (i.e. the Marlins). Which leases it from the city. And profits from it, of course.
State lawmakers have been trying to pass a bill that would save Miami from having to pay that property tax — sorry schools, roads and infrastructure! — but they’ve hit a roadblock: the bill appears as though it would be unconstitutional.
How will this ever be resolved?
- (a) Someone in Tallahassee will figure out how to ram the law though one way or another, thereby shorting the county’s coffers of tax revenue that it has every right to given that the parking garage is a profit center for both the city and the Marlins;
- (b) No law will be passed and Miami taxpayers will have to pony up an extra $1.2 million on top of what they’re already paying to enrich Jeff Loria; or
- (c) Loria and the Marlins will do the right thing and compensate the city for the property taxes, what with the garage being a publicly-funded cash cow for the team and $1.2 million being mere rounding error for them, thanks in part to the giant windfall they have already received?
If your guess is (c), you have no paid much attention to how the business of publicly funded stadiums has gone on in this country over the past 20 years or so.
Aug 30, 2015, 12:03 AM EDT
A fan heckling Alex Rodriguez from the upper deck fell and died at Turner Field on Saturday night.
Aug 29, 2015, 11:05 PM EDT
The Royals will likely get Alex Gordon back when the calendar turns to September.
Aug 29, 2015, 10:10 PM EDT
Mariners manager Lloyd McClendon wants to keep Felix Hernandez fresh through the end of the season, so he’ll skip his ace’s start on Monday.
Aug 29, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
Gavin Floyd will pitch out of the bullpen for the Indians when he is activated on Tuesday.
Aug 29, 2015, 8:20 PM EDT
The Brewers pulled Francisco Rodriguez back after he was claimed on revocable waivers last week.
Aug 29, 2015, 7:28 PM EDT
The Mets have bolstered their bullpen, acquiring Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks.
Aug 29, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Lance Lynn hurt his right ankle in the eighth inning of Saturday’s start versus the Giants.
Aug 29, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT
Max Stassi will return to the majors as Jason Castro was placed on the disabled list on Saturday.
Aug 29, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
2016 will be Vin Scully’s last season behind the mic.
Aug 29, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT
Rzepczynski was just acquired by the Padres last month, but he could soon be on the move again.
Aug 29, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT
Encarnacion extended his hitting steak to 24 games and also drove in a career-high nine runs.
Aug 29, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT
Kimbrel won’t be traded this season.
Aug 29, 2015, 3:57 PM EDT
Gose had a costly brain camp this afternoon against the Blue Jays.
Aug 29, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT
Well done by the Trouts and the Angels.
Aug 29, 2015, 1:13 PM EDT
Mookie Betts and Mookie Wilson will meet Saturday afternoon at Citi Field.
Aug 29, 2015, 12:32 PM EDT
Indians manager Terry Francona has the ability to opt out of his contract if team president Mark Shapiro or general manager Chris Antonetti were to leave the organization.
Aug 29, 2015, 11:36 AM EDT
Morneau has been out since May 13 with a concussion symptoms and a cervical neck strain.
Aug 29, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
The catwalk at Tropicana Field strikes again. After it robbed Twins rookie Miguel Sano of a home run on Thursday night, it fooled Rays outfield Kevin Kiermaier on this two-run homer from Royals designated hitter Kendrys Morales last night.
Aug 29, 2015, 10:06 AM EDT
Teixeira fouled a ball of his right leg on August 17 and hasn’t seen much in the way of improvement.
Aug 29, 2015, 9:35 AM EDT
With the Braves getting blown out by the Yankees last night, outfielder Jonny Gomes got an opportunity to pitch the top of the ninth inning. As you might expect, it was pretty entertaining.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)