Feb 22, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
Last fall we learned that the city of Miami faces an unexpected $1.2 million property tax bill as a result of its largess to Jeff Loria and the Miami Marlins. Seems the city thought that a stadium parking garage it built and paid for is not going to be exempt from property taxes because, despite the fact that it is a publicly-owned facility, it is used for the benefit of a private business (i.e. the Marlins). Which leases it from the city. And profits from it, of course.
State lawmakers have been trying to pass a bill that would save Miami from having to pay that property tax — sorry schools, roads and infrastructure! — but they’ve hit a roadblock: the bill appears as though it would be unconstitutional.
How will this ever be resolved?
- (a) Someone in Tallahassee will figure out how to ram the law though one way or another, thereby shorting the county’s coffers of tax revenue that it has every right to given that the parking garage is a profit center for both the city and the Marlins;
- (b) No law will be passed and Miami taxpayers will have to pony up an extra $1.2 million on top of what they’re already paying to enrich Jeff Loria; or
- (c) Loria and the Marlins will do the right thing and compensate the city for the property taxes, what with the garage being a publicly-funded cash cow for the team and $1.2 million being mere rounding error for them, thanks in part to the giant windfall they have already received?
If your guess is (c), you have no paid much attention to how the business of publicly funded stadiums has gone on in this country over the past 20 years or so.
May 22, 2015, 11:59 PM EDT
Mike Trout is pretty good at this baseball thing.
May 22, 2015, 11:40 PM EDT
Bad news for the reeling Marlins: starters Mat Latos and Henderson Alvarez both will take at least a couple of weeks off due to injuries.
May 22, 2015, 11:05 PM EDT
Ichiro Suzuki may be close to the end of a brilliant career, but he’s not done moving up baseball’s all-time leaderboards.
May 22, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Nelson Cruz kept pace with Bryce Harper, taking back the MLB lead in home runs shortly after losing it.
May 22, 2015, 9:35 PM EDT
Stephen Vogt has been baseball’s best-hitting catcher and GM Billy Beane plans to hold onto him.
May 22, 2015, 8:40 PM EDT
Athletes aren’t born with an ability to speak with the media. We got a look into a media coaching session between Athletics closer Sean Doolittle and girlfriend Eireann Dolan.
May 22, 2015, 7:51 PM EDT
The Dodgers added some pitching depth on Friday, acquiring pitcher Eric Surkamp from the White Sox.
May 22, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The White Sox are managing Carlos Rodon’s workload so they pushed the lefty’s start back from Monday.
May 22, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT
Coco Crisp will go back on the disabled list, but has chosen against having career-ending surgery.
May 22, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
The Mets appear to be heading towards using a six-man rotation after Dillon Gee returns on Saturday.
May 22, 2015, 4:47 PM EDT
The Yankees firmly believe that the only people allowed to disparage Alex Rodriguez are the Yankees.
May 22, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Castillo is starting tonight in right field.
May 22, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT
Janssen was signed for $5 million to replace Tyler Clippard as the Nationals’ primary setup man.
May 22, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
When I see you smile, Barry, I can face the world. You know I can do anything. When I see you smile, I see a ray of light.
May 22, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
21-year-old right-hander Norge Ruiz.
May 22, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
But Major League Baseball’s silliness about these kinds of infractions, however, will continue on unabated.
Quote of the Day: Freddie Freeman inadvertently illustrates the silliness of the foreign substance rules
May 22, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT
Paraphrased: “Smith should be way less obvious about the fact that he’s trying to keep us safe!”
May 22, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Travis has been a huge bright spot for Toronto this season.
May 22, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
At least that’s what Molly Knight reports from Japan, and I’m inclined to agree.
May 22, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Mujica actually managed to pick up the ball and make a throw to first base for the out.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)