Feb 22, 2012, 8:50 AM EST
As soon as Carlos Zambrano was shipped to Miami everyone wanted to know how baseball’s most combustible pitcher would get along with baseball’s most combustible manager in Ozzie Guillen.
Guillen spoke on that yesterday. He opined that perhaps the reason Zambrano had issues with the Cubs is because the Cubs let him have issues. And, for his part, he vowed to not let that happen:
“Maybe it’s not his fault,’’ Guillen said. “Maybe it’s somebody’s fault. Maybe they let that tiger leave the cage and couldn’t bring him back. That tiger is not going to leave the cage. I guarantee you he is not leaving the cage. I guarantee you that. As soon as he tries to open the cage, I’ll be waiting for his ass.’’
That should be fun to watch.
In all seriousness, though, it probably won’t take Guillen bringing the hammer down on Zambrano to keep the guy in line. Given how little the Marlins are paying of Zambrano’s salary, he has to realize that if he messes up they’ll simply release him. And if they do that, it’s likely the end of his major league career.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)