Feb 22, 2012, 12:16 PM EST
Joseph Torres, who was the Angels’ first-round pick in 2000 and pitched last season in the Rockies’ farm system, has been suspended 50 games for amphetamines.
Torres was the 10th overall pick out of high school and once cracked Baseball America‘s top 50 prospects, but he’s now 29 years old and has yet to reach the majors after posting a 4.51 ERA in 574 innings as a minor leaguer.
Colorado issued a statement to address the suspension, saying they’re “very disappointed” and “have long been committed to eliminating the use of performance-enhancing substances from the game of baseball.”
According to the Associated Press he’s the 16th player suspended for drug usage already this year.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 67
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)