Someone is suing the Marlins, claiming they bought the team for $10 million at an auction

Feb 22, 2012, 1:41 PM EDT

Marlins Miami new logo

This is fun. In 2008, Marlins’ president David Samson apparently served as auctioneer at what I can only guess was a charity auction at a Florida Marlins awards banquet at a country club.

At the outset of the auction, he said, in what I can only guess was a joking manner, that the Marlins were the first item up for bid, minimum bid, $10 million.

Then, from the crowd, someone, in what one would reasonably assume was a joking manner, bid $10 million.  I’m sure there were chuckles all around, and then the actual auction began.

Except the guy who bid $10 million now claims that he was serious and is suing the Marlins, claiming that they breached a contract by not selling the team to him for $10 million.  Courtesy of Sport in Law, here’s the lawsuit.

This is why we can’t have nice things, people.

The suit was filed by an actual law firm too, not some weirdo acting on his own twisted behalf.  Here’s hoping that the judge who is assigned to the case is especially cranky the day he or she reads this thing and kicks all kinds of lawyer and plaintiff butt as he or she drums this frivolous complaint out of court.

1. proudlycanadian - Feb 22, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Does Old Gator actually have the $10 million?

• deathmonkey41 - Feb 22, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Beat me to it.

• cur68 - Feb 22, 2012 at 1:49 PM

We could take up a collection to see to it that he does. I throw in one Loonie, a beaver nickel and a Cook Island $1 coin.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 22, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I would throw in a Beaver Tail. I could pick one up in Ottawa next week.

• The Rabbit - Feb 22, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Good afternoon Cur and Mr. Canadian,
        You guys might be on to something. We need to pool our resources and put in a bid for the Mets when they become available. We could be the HBT Troll Financial Group.
        I’ve got a couple of Susan B’s I can throw in.

• Old Gator - Feb 22, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Just send your donations to Old Gator Class Action, PO Box (-b±√(b^2-4ac))/2a, Macondo, Florida ┬(0≤x≤1). if I don’t win this, I will refund everything, minus expenses.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 22, 2012 at 3:59 PM

The Mets? The Mets? Aren’t they worth like -25 m now?

• cur68 - Feb 22, 2012 at 4:01 PM

You can keep the Cook Island coin:

• Francisco (FC) - Feb 22, 2012 at 4:02 PM

How about an old Venezuelan “Fuerte”?

• koufaxmitzvah - Feb 22, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Speaking of Fuertes, I’ve got some excess gas from lunch I’m looking to release.

• The Rabbit - Feb 22, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Jonny, Exactly, which is why I think we could pull it off.
        FC, Of course, your Venezuelan fuerte is welcome.
        Gator, Why do I think that your expenses would be exactly equal to the donations? You’ve been examining Loria’s books, haven’t you?

• Old Gator - Feb 22, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Not nuts about fuerte, but I would be happy with some puntas de bifsteak y morcilla for lunch and a couple of lechon asado arepas for supper. As far as breakfast, wake me up when it’s hallaca season. This Easter, though, I think I’ll skip the giant rat.

2. jacobohakim - Feb 22, 2012 at 1:45 PM

what??!!?!

3. dondada10 - Feb 22, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Craig, did you see fat Chipper Jones on Deadspin?

• El Bravo - Feb 22, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I saw that earlier when reading the Braves camp article on ESPN. For some reason the article quotes Chipper fifty times but doesn’t speak to the fact he’s clearly a fatty right now and looking out of shape. He damn near looks like Kenny Powers with a bit shorter hair!!

4. CJ - Feb 22, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I bumped into this same guy at a bar (no, not THAT kind of bar) a couple weeks back. He told me about the whole thing and he knows he doesn’t have a shot at winning the case.

He actually said that if he won, he’d sell me the team for $10, so if he does win, I’ll be suing him.

• mdpickles - Feb 22, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I wish I could give CJ’s comment two thumbs up!

• CJ - Feb 22, 2012 at 2:28 PM

for the record, I’d be willing to offer the team back to current ownership. I think they’re doing a fine job.

But before I would, I’d hire Ed Wade as GM so he can trade Josh Johnson, Jose Reyes, Hanley Ramirez, Heath Bell, Mike Stanton and Gaby Sanchez to the Phillies for a 5th and 6th starter, a bum Achilles, and a couple sports hernias waiting to happen.

5. muskyhunter2542 - Feb 22, 2012 at 2:50 PM

I have $20 mil. I win!!!

6. h2otown66 - Feb 22, 2012 at 2:58 PM

But Craig — wouldn’t how awesome it would be to have the Marlins transferred to a new owner for $10 million be worth the mockery of justice?

7. thom4msu - Feb 22, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Someone please tell Hymie Weinstein to get a life.

• snowbirdgothic - Feb 22, 2012 at 3:10 PM

In the words of my people, don’t be a schmuck.

8. sleepyirv - Feb 22, 2012 at 3:17 PM

I’m still trying to collect on the “Take my wife, please” offer.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5369)