Feb 22, 2012, 3:30 PM EST
Remember last year when Mets manager Terry Collins was upset that Luis Castillo didn’t report to camp on time? No, of course you don’t, because Castillo did report to camp on time. Collins was mad that Castillo didn’t report to camp early. It’s just that when you’re Terry Collins, on time is late and early is on time and if you don’t understand that you simply don’t care as much about the game as Terry Collins does.
Well, Collins is at it again. This time with his new starting shortstop, Ruben Tejada:
“I am a little surprised,” Collins said Wednesday. “A lot of it is just selfishness on my part. I take great pride in the game itself, and respecting the game. I wish everybody had the same respect for it to want to get started as early as possible. So I know Ruben will come in great shape. I know he’ll be ready to go. I just wish he was here.”
I hate this crap. Sure, if you’re Luis Castillo and you’re under fire as it is, you probably do yourself some favors if you show up early. But really, if you want someone in camp on February 20, make February 20 the reporting date. If your reporting date is February 25, don’t act like they’re less-than-professional if they show up on the 25th.
What is this, the NFL? Gosh, I hope not. The NFL is dreadful when it comes to this kind of macho bullcrap.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 148
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (150)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)