Terry Collins is mad at a player for not reporting to camp early. Again.

Feb 22, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT

Terry Collins AP

Remember last year when Mets manager Terry Collins was upset that Luis Castillo didn’t report to camp on time? No, of course you don’t, because Castillo did report to camp on time.  Collins was mad that Castillo didn’t report to camp early. It’s just that when you’re Terry Collins, on time is late and early is on time and if you don’t understand that you simply don’t care as much about the game as Terry Collins does.

Well, Collins is at it again. This time with his new starting shortstop, Ruben Tejada:

“I am a little surprised,” Collins said Wednesday. “A lot of it is just selfishness on my part. I take great pride in the game itself, and respecting the game. I wish everybody had the same respect for it to want to get started as early as possible. So I know Ruben will come in great shape. I know he’ll be ready to go. I just wish he was here.”

I hate this crap. Sure, if you’re Luis Castillo and you’re under fire as it is, you probably do yourself some favors if you show up early.  But really, if you want someone in camp on February 20, make February 20 the reporting date. If your reporting date is February 25, don’t act like they’re less-than-professional if they show up on the 25th.

What is this, the NFL? Gosh, I hope not. The NFL is dreadful when it comes to this kind of macho bullcrap.

1. cur68 - Feb 22, 2012 at 3:31 PM

psst, Craig, read that headline again….

• uyf1950 - Feb 22, 2012 at 3:40 PM

It’s a really slow baseball day.

2. kopy - Feb 22, 2012 at 3:37 PM

You know what, Stan, if you want me to wear 37 pieces of flair like your pretty boy over there, Brian, why don’t you just make the minimum 37 pieces of flair?

• phukyouk - Feb 22, 2012 at 3:54 PM

GREAT reference.

• phukyouk - Feb 22, 2012 at 4:08 PM

PERFECT! +10000

3. Old Gator - Feb 22, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Terry Collins is exactly the kind of asshole I hated to work for when I was…well…working. Tell him to learn how to read a contract and stick a sock in it.

4. The Common Man - Feb 22, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Really, unless a baseball player lives at the spring training complex during the offseason, they don’t care about making themselves into the best player they can be. I’m tired of athletes insisting on “visiting their families” and “resting their injuries.” Buck up, buttercup. If you want to be on the Mets, you work hard the Mets way. Which is why the Mets are always one of the best teams in baseball.

5. Reggie's Bush - Feb 22, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Doesn’t Reuben Tejada have visa issues with his native Panama? I figured that’s why he hasn’t been able to come to the US

Also macho bull crap is awesome

6. buffalomafia - Feb 22, 2012 at 4:13 PM

I would’t show up knowing my team sucks & is going to finish in last place!

C’mon it’s depressing enough knowing your going to be in last place from the start of spring training to Sept anyway!

Just trade me?

7. aarontzach - Feb 22, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Maybe Ruben Tejada loves his family more than he loves baseball. I wouldn’t be in too big of a hurry to go to a foreign country that speaks a foreign language for 9 months no matter how much they were paying me. I’m not saying i wouldn’t do it, I just wouldn’t be there 5 days early if i didn’t have to.

8. sdelmonte - Feb 22, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Yeah, baseball isn’t football. But given that another NYC figure of note with same initials used the same tactics and won two Super Bowls, I am willing to give Collins a little slack. I’ll save any anger with him for mishandling the rotation or the bullpen.

• umrguy42 - Feb 23, 2012 at 10:48 AM

No, no – the *other* TC gets slack *because* he’s won 2 Super Bowls. When Collins wins a World Series, *then* you can cut him some slack. Until then, he’s just kind of a jerk about it.

9. kandh2004 - Feb 22, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Everybody please leave Craig alone today he is a little mad at some pictures that got out of his boyfriend being in shitty shape so cut him a break please

10. rooney24 - Feb 22, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Makes you wonder if the Mets even let all of the players know they could show up early and/or if they encouraged them to do so. If not, I could see a player not wanting to get in trouble for showing up early as well. Plus, if he is from Panama, there could possibly be something that got lost in translation. Just tell the players when you want them there and most will show up. Don’t set the expectations/goals to one thing and just expect they can read your mind and guess when you really want them there.

11. jwbiii - Feb 22, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Easy. Put it in his contract. 10% bonus for showing up a week early.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2918)