Feb 22, 2012, 6:35 PM EDT
It’s one thing for a manager to be peeved that his young player decided not to report early to camp. It’s another thing when he starts airing out that grievance to the media.
Mets manager Terry Collins did just that on Wednesday. According to MLB.com, Collins was quite disappointed that shortstop Ruben Tejada is deciding to wait until Saturday’s reporting deadline to show up. He says he “pretty much suggested” during the offseason that Tejada should arrive early to camp, but “probably should have spelled it out.”
His other quotes:
I know Ruben will come in in great shape. I know he’ll be ready to go. I just wish he was here.
A lot of it’s just selfishness on my part. I take great pride in the game itself and respecting the game itself. I wish everybody had the same respect and wanted to get started as soon as possible.
And that’s just not right. MLB and the MLBPA negotiated reporting deadlines for a reason, and no player should be pressured to show up early. Besides six weeks is more than enough time for a position player to get ready for the season. Collins deserves a little fine for letting everyone know the league’s own reporting deadlines aren’t good enough for him.
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 0
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 43
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 11
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 97
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (97)