Feb 22, 2012, 6:35 PM EST
It’s one thing for a manager to be peeved that his young player decided not to report early to camp. It’s another thing when he starts airing out that grievance to the media.
Mets manager Terry Collins did just that on Wednesday. According to MLB.com, Collins was quite disappointed that shortstop Ruben Tejada is deciding to wait until Saturday’s reporting deadline to show up. He says he “pretty much suggested” during the offseason that Tejada should arrive early to camp, but “probably should have spelled it out.”
His other quotes:
I know Ruben will come in in great shape. I know he’ll be ready to go. I just wish he was here.
A lot of it’s just selfishness on my part. I take great pride in the game itself and respecting the game itself. I wish everybody had the same respect and wanted to get started as soon as possible.
And that’s just not right. MLB and the MLBPA negotiated reporting deadlines for a reason, and no player should be pressured to show up early. Besides six weeks is more than enough time for a position player to get ready for the season. Collins deserves a little fine for letting everyone know the league’s own reporting deadlines aren’t good enough for him.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 248
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 48
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (253)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Yankees fans: would you give up the 2009 title just to be rid of A-Rod? (122)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)