Feb 22, 2012, 6:35 PM EDT
It’s one thing for a manager to be peeved that his young player decided not to report early to camp. It’s another thing when he starts airing out that grievance to the media.
Mets manager Terry Collins did just that on Wednesday. According to MLB.com, Collins was quite disappointed that shortstop Ruben Tejada is deciding to wait until Saturday’s reporting deadline to show up. He says he “pretty much suggested” during the offseason that Tejada should arrive early to camp, but “probably should have spelled it out.”
His other quotes:
I know Ruben will come in in great shape. I know he’ll be ready to go. I just wish he was here.
A lot of it’s just selfishness on my part. I take great pride in the game itself and respecting the game itself. I wish everybody had the same respect and wanted to get started as soon as possible.
And that’s just not right. MLB and the MLBPA negotiated reporting deadlines for a reason, and no player should be pressured to show up early. Besides six weeks is more than enough time for a position player to get ready for the season. Collins deserves a little fine for letting everyone know the league’s own reporting deadlines aren’t good enough for him.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)