Feb 22, 2012, 2:55 PM EDT
I wasn’t gonna say anything about this, but you people won’t leave me alone, so here it is: no, I am not going to do a “Chipper Jones is in the Worst Shape of His Life” post. And it has nothing to do with me being a Braves homer. I just don’t see the evidence for it.
The thing motivating it today is Deadspin’s posting of a picture taken at Braves camp the other day in which, let’s be honest, Chipper Jones looks like total hell:
Not good! But the thing is, it seems like this is more about that picture being unfortunate than it is about Chipper Jones being in any worse shape than he’s been in the past couple of years. Because here’s a pic taken of Jones, in uniform, on Monday:
Seems like pretty normal late-model Chipper Jones to me.
Obviously the BSOHL and the more infrequent WSOHL stuff is just for fun, but I feel like we have to at least attempt to be fair. If a manager says a player has put on some pounds or something, cool. But if a guy just looks like a 39 year-old in a muscle shirt — which is ugly 100% of the time — that doesn’t seem good enough for me, especially if he looks normal in uniform.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- LIVE: Stanley Cup Final Game 4 pregame show
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming