Back tightness is the new oblique strain

Feb 23, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT

Back pain

Remember last year how we couldn’t go a day in spring training without hearing about strained oblique muscles?  Yeah, that was great.  This year we have a new fashionable muscle strain: starting pitcher backs.

Tim Lincecum the other day, Clayton Kershaw yesterday.  Today it’s Wandy Rodriguez.

Will back strains become as popular as strained obliques?  Hard to say, really. It used to be that the classics — hamstrings, mostly — never went out of style.  Now we’re in a strange new world where there are no limits to what can rule the injury fashion landscape.

1. cur68 - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait…is this the new black, then? I’d like to remain current, since I pride myself on wasting time by carrying memes and topics from thread to thread. So, “back tightness”, new black, si or no?

• El Bravo - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Da, motherf@cker.

• koufaxmitzvah - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Only if you can turn it into a dance move.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Just like come is the new gum?

• cur68 - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Is it? Looking back on the Oswalt post, all I can say for certain is that chewing gum and baling wire may both be more fashionable than alternative spellings used.

• cur68 - Feb 23, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Well, I did reply to you J5, but it seems any comments made to the word “come” isn’t being hung on the comments section (at least those made by me, at any rate). I’m going to try and reply to myself this time as I’ve noticed your excellent gravatar pic, J5, and I’d really like to give you a nod for that one. Kudos, sir. Some balls O’Steel you got there. Fitting for a robot. Still trying to impress 24missed with simple displays of reproductive prowess, eh? Good for you. Next pic should be of an i-beam.

• cur68 - Feb 23, 2012 at 3:07 PM

• cur68 - Feb 23, 2012 at 5:10 PM

*sigh*…and here they all are, my missing comments, one after the other all turning up, like farts in a snow suit: it aint over till you get off your snowmobile and head indoors. Then mind the company you keep, or else.

2. aceshigh11 - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Praise the Lord, and pass the vicodin.

No, seriously…give me the fuckin’ vicodin. Now.

3. dowhatifeellike - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Don’t forget Jim Johnson. (He’s easy to forget, I know.)

• phukyouk - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:20 PM

the guy that did the voice of kermit?

• cur68 - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:25 PM

No, I think he means the singer/surfer guy. Hope his back is feeling better, though I was unaware he was having problems.

4. cleverbob - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I’m ok with this as long as “serrated edge that sliced me open in two different spots and I was leaking spinal fluid” never becomes the new oblique strain…

5. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Add Austin Romine of the Yankees to the list, though I would imagine every catcher has a sore everything by day three…

6. Gamera the Brave - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I thought back tightness is the new inefficiency…

7. sportsdrenched.com - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:56 PM

WTH is back tightness. Is there actual pain? Or is it just sore? My back is always tight after lifting, doesn’t mean it hurts. Of course I’m not a pitcher that winds up like top like Tim Lincegum

8. dwrek5 - Feb 23, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Ok wait, are they in the best shape of their life or not?!?!?!

9. JB (the original) - Feb 23, 2012 at 4:55 PM

“back stiffness” or is the latest ‘gray area’ ‘PED of the week’ just hard on the kidneys?

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (2985)