Bill Lee is dubious of Oil Can Boyd’s claims

Feb 23, 2012, 12:04 PM EDT

Bill Lee

No one believes it when someone like Ronald Belisario or Ron Washington says that they did cocaine only once. Seems that Bill Lee doesn’t believe Oil Can Boyd’s claim that he did cocaine hundreds of times:

Former Red Sox pitcher Bill Lee, appearing on WEEI’s Planet Mikey show recently with good friend Mike Adams, spoke about Dennis “Oil Can” Boyd’s contention that Boyd feeling the effects of cocaine most of the time he was pitching on the Red Sox.  Lee gave voice to what other Sox officials have said privately when he said: “He’s like the guy who said he was pitching on acid (former Pirates pitcher Dock Ellis). When his lips are moving, he’s lying.”

And if Bill Lee tells you that people who use drugs aren’t truthful, you have to believe him.

Either way, it’s a sad day in this country when no one believes what coke heads say.  What happened to trust, man?

1. humanexcrement - Feb 23, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Is it me or does he look like Clint Eastwood?

• marshmallowsnake - Feb 23, 2012 at 12:44 PM

He looks homeless there.

• JBerardi - Feb 23, 2012 at 12:51 PM

He looks like homeless Clint Eastwood.

• marshmallowsnake - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:33 PM

touche!

• jwbiii - Feb 23, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Outlaw Josey Wales era Eastwood.

• tmohr - Feb 23, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I was thinking Kris Kristofferson, myself.

2. koufaxmitzvah - Feb 23, 2012 at 12:14 PM

That photo is screaming at me, Real men growl en Francais.

3. pisano - Feb 23, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Well I’m dubious of Bill Lee’s sanity!

• bigharold - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:39 PM

There is a very good reason why they call him Spaceman!

4. SmackSaw - Feb 23, 2012 at 12:22 PM

If anyone knows about pitching while loaded, it’s the Spaceman. I still periodically sprinkle a little weed on pancakes in tribute to him.

Like Warren Zevon sang;

You’re supposed to sit on your ass and nod at stupid things
    Man, that’s hard to do
    And if you don’t, they’ll screw you
    And if you do, they’ll screw you, too

• Jonny 5 - Feb 23, 2012 at 12:33 PM

If you can make sense of Zevon, I think you put a bit more weed on your pancakes then you’re telling us..

• JBerardi - Feb 23, 2012 at 12:54 PM

What part of that doesn’t make sense?

• frankvzappa - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:16 PM

I am duly impressed with anyone who quotes the master songwriter Warren Zevon. I regard him as highly as I do FZ. Best song about baseball ever written.

• metalhead65 - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Warren owns frank!

• clevername1 - Feb 24, 2012 at 12:19 AM

I very much like Zevon….however, Zappa took it right to Tipper Gore. Also, his extensive library of 8 tracks/cassettes/albums and CDs are quite impressive. Wish they were both still among us!

5. steveohho - Feb 23, 2012 at 12:34 PM

So if Doc Ellis was lying about pitching using LSD, what about hurlers who claim they pitched without using LSD? Are some of them lying too?

6. aceshigh11 - Feb 23, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Bill Lee is just awesome. That’s all.

• 18thstreet - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I met him in person — sort of — at a screening of a documentary about him. He’s sort of an ass, mostly in a good way. But also: not.

• aceshigh11 - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I can definitely see that.

I worked in Western Mass., and my co-worker came across him in a local diner…he didn’t talk to him but I imagine he’s an odd duck.

• 18thstreet - Feb 23, 2012 at 3:31 PM

He was answering questions after the documentary was shown. Given that it was a friendly audience (why else would we have been there?), he was just sort of … well, a jerk.

The thing that stayed with me was when he said that if he had Josh Beckett’s stuff, he (Lee) would have won 400 games.

• aceshigh11 - Feb 23, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Sheesh, what an ego!! 400 games…

As Montgomery Scott said: “Aye…and if my grandmother had wheels, she’d be a wagon.”

• Old Gator - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Bill Lee ran for the state legislature in Vermont (or maybe New Hampshire – they all look alike anyway) on an energy conservation platform. He proposed that we could save millions and millions of dollars by passing legislation that lowered the boiling point of water to 210 degrees F.

Come on now – wasn’t that a more useful suggestion than anything you’ve heard during the Republican primary debates?

• 18thstreet - Feb 23, 2012 at 3:42 PM

He WAS entertaining. He just wasn’t nice.

• aceshigh11 - Feb 23, 2012 at 4:04 PM

LOL, you got me there. The GOP debates have been pure comedic relief for me. I can’t get enough of them.

• fuggles7 - Feb 23, 2012 at 7:06 PM

He also ran for president of the U.S. Wiki the Rhinoceros Party of Canada. “Although not recognized in the United States, former baseball pitcher Bill Lee ran for President of the United States in 1988 on the Rhinoceros Party ticket.”

• bigharold - Feb 23, 2012 at 6:45 PM

If by “awesome” you mean lose cannon jackass, … yeah I guess he’s awesome.

• aceshigh11 - Feb 23, 2012 at 10:05 PM

LOL, well yeah, but sometimes, whacky old cranks who don’t know when to shut up can be highly amusing.

7. nightrain42 - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Better question……who cares about this bum?

8. hasbeen5 - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I’ve met Bill Lee. There’s a decent chance he knows what he’s talking about when it comes to drugs.

9. SmackSaw - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Bill Lee’s movie

High and Outside

10. Jack Marshall - Feb 23, 2012 at 4:21 PM

My hero.

Lee is a rarity, a human being and an athlete with integrity. For years he said he would play baseball for free, and after he quit, he did. Of course he’s something of a jerk: you have to be a jerk to be a true non-conformist and not care what people think of you. But he gave every bit of himself there was to give every second he was on the field, never made excuses, and with Loooie, had to make up the most entertaining 1-2 starting pitching combo ever.

I love ya, Spaceman.
    But quitting the team when they traded Carbo in ’78 was a real dick move.

• Glenn - Feb 23, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Zimmer had already quit on him in ’78 if I remember correctly. My mother could have managed the 1978 Sox to World Series victory but Zimmer had to let his personal vendettas get in the way of good decision making.

• patsandsox - Feb 24, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Zimmer benched him because he said zimmer looked like a gerbil, which he does, and played a rookie that never won a game

• 18thstreet - Feb 24, 2012 at 4:27 PM

I’m sure Zimmer mismanaged the pitching staff, too, but I think he really blew it by overplaying his regulars. Fisk played 157 games that year, for example. He was totally gassed by August, when the Sox were choking.

Yaz was 38 and played in 144 games. Zimmer was an idiot.

11. patsandsox - Feb 24, 2012 at 12:28 PM

wrong thread sorry

12. patsandsox - Feb 24, 2012 at 12:27 PM

that has malpractice written all over it. I thought mass general was supposed to be famous?

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (2992)