Feb 23, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Bobby Jenks was placed on the 60-day disabled list by the Red Sox earlier this week following two back surgeries and a pulmonary embolism, and today the reliever shared the details of his nightmarish offseason with Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe.
Once he was recovered from the pulmonary embolism Jenks underwent spinal surgery in mid-December and was recovering at his home in Arizona when he needed a second, emergency surgery on December 30 due to an “error” made during the first operation:
I don’t know whose fault it was. But there was an error done inside. I had four bone spurs on my spine. We talked about taking the top two out. The third one was started and not finished. So basically there was a serrated edge that sliced me open in two different spots and I was leaking spinal fluid.
“There was a serrated edge that sliced me open in two different spots and I was leaking spinal fluid” sounds like basically the worst thing of all time, but there’s even more. Jenks described how his “muscles were so torn open” and the pain was “excruciating,” along with concerns that the infection could potentially spread to his brain.
Jenks is in the second season of a two-year, $12 million contract, but his ability to pitch at all in 2012 is in question. He appeared in just 12 games for the Red Sox last year and hasn’t thrown since then, so it’ll be a long road back. And the ordeal–from which he’s considering legal action–caused him to lose about 40 pounds.
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 2
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 37
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)