Feb 23, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Bobby Jenks was placed on the 60-day disabled list by the Red Sox earlier this week following two back surgeries and a pulmonary embolism, and today the reliever shared the details of his nightmarish offseason with Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe.
Once he was recovered from the pulmonary embolism Jenks underwent spinal surgery in mid-December and was recovering at his home in Arizona when he needed a second, emergency surgery on December 30 due to an “error” made during the first operation:
I don’t know whose fault it was. But there was an error done inside. I had four bone spurs on my spine. We talked about taking the top two out. The third one was started and not finished. So basically there was a serrated edge that sliced me open in two different spots and I was leaking spinal fluid.
“There was a serrated edge that sliced me open in two different spots and I was leaking spinal fluid” sounds like basically the worst thing of all time, but there’s even more. Jenks described how his “muscles were so torn open” and the pain was “excruciating,” along with concerns that the infection could potentially spread to his brain.
Jenks is in the second season of a two-year, $12 million contract, but his ability to pitch at all in 2012 is in question. He appeared in just 12 games for the Red Sox last year and hasn’t thrown since then, so it’ll be a long road back. And the ordeal–from which he’s considering legal action–caused him to lose about 40 pounds.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 5
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)