Bryan LaHair named Cubs’ cleanup hitter after BSOHL claim

Feb 23, 2012, 7:34 PM EDT

Bryan LaHair AP

A fitting reward, is it not?

Cubs manager Dale Sveum said today that while he’s still figuring out the rest of his lineup, he’s currently planning to use David DeJesus as a leadoff man and Bryan LaHair in the cleanup spot.

It’s quite a show of faith in LaHair, a 29-year-old who has hit .262/.335/.395 with five homers and 16 RBI in 195 major league at-bats.

Alfonso Soriano was the other candidate to bat fourth for the Cubs. He’ll probably follow LaHair in a lineup that could look like:

RF David DeJesus – L
SS Starlin Castro – R
CF Marlon Byrd – R
1B Bryan LaHair – L
LF Alfonso Soriano – R
C Geovany Soto – R
3B Ian Stewart – L
2B Darwin Barney – R

Alternatively, the Cubs could move Barney up to the two hole and go with Castro third and Byrd fifth. Barney, though, was pretty brutal offensively after a nice April last season. It’s better if he hits eighth.

1. kyjp55 - Feb 23, 2012 at 8:12 PM

It is a crock of horse_____! He is as quilty as can be. The league best continue to drug test him everyday, before every game.

• jwbiii - Feb 23, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Bryan LaHair?

• larryboodry - Feb 23, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Wrong post, dude…And I disagree with you in any case.

2. jason1214 - Feb 23, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Sadly Lahair is best option for 4 hole. Soriano or Stewart would be better, but they swing n miss too much.

• ndrocks2 - Feb 24, 2012 at 12:09 AM

LaHair has struck out 1/3 of the time in his two call ups in limited AB’s, we shall see…

3. tacklemeelmo - Feb 23, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I wish him the best this year. Glad to see he is getting a chance. He had a killer year with the Iowa Cubs, even though I’m sure the numbers are inflated by the PCL.

4. firerogergoodell - Feb 24, 2012 at 5:10 AM

That’s even worse than I imagined. And I was expecting the worst lineup card of my entire lifetime! That being said, I have all the faith in the world in Theo. That also being said, this is going to be a LONG couple of years.

Three legends off to Cooperstown