GM: “Roy Oswalt is not going to be a Cardinal”

Feb 23, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT

oswalt glove getty Getty Images

Roy Oswalt is expected to make his long-awaited decision today and finally sign with a team, but in the meantime we know one place where he won’t be going: St. Louis.

General manager John Mozeliak appeared on AM-590 in St. Louis this morning and said: “Roy Oswalt is not going to be a Cardinal.”

Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch wrote a short time earlier that a friend of Oswalt “would not be surprised” if the veteran starter chose the Cardinals, but apparently that’s no longer an option.

That would seemingly leave the Rangers and Red Sox as favorites, although this morning Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reported that “people who know” say “it is not the Rangers or Red Sox for Oswalt.” Heyman even put ‘NOT” in all caps.

Time for another big offseason acquisition by Mystery Team, perhaps?

1. ningenito78 - Feb 23, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Or retirement.

2. uyf1950 - Feb 23, 2012 at 10:56 AM

The ever lurking mystery team. Could it be the Pawtucket Red Sox?

I wouldn’t be surprised since yesterday was Ash Wednesday for the Catholics that all the religious faithfull in Beantown went to mass and prayed for an Oswalt for their team.

BTW, if anyone’s wondering I’m Catholic myself, but not a Sox fan. But you probably already knew that part.

• pisano - Feb 23, 2012 at 11:52 AM

My friend, I’m with you on both parts of your last sentence.

• uyf1950 - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:27 PM

My friend. 3 posters didn’t like your reply and 7 didn’t like my original comment. I’m guess then that the difference of 4 thumbs down must mean those 4 people have either something against Catholics or against the Pawtucket Red Sox or a combination of both in my original comment.

3. saints97 - Feb 23, 2012 at 10:59 AM

He wouldn’t be the first guy from Mississippi to hold a press conference to tell the media he has nothing to report.

4. dwrek5 - Feb 23, 2012 at 11:02 AM

“Roy Oswalt is not going to be a Cardinal…” “…until later today.” ** fingers crossed **

5. phukyouk - Feb 23, 2012 at 11:10 AM

ESPN just announced that there will be a “ROY:The Decision” at 3pm EST today.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 23, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I hope you’re kidding. ESPN’s horrible broadcasting wouldn’t surprise me in the least.

• phukyouk - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:45 PM

sigh..

/sarcasm

6. homelanddefense - Feb 23, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I bet he is announcing that he wont sign with anyone until later in the season when a contender has a need.

7. philsgamer - Feb 23, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Ruben, what are you doing over there!? Somebody get him away from the vault!

8. pkswally024 - Feb 23, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Welcome back to Philly

• chadjones27 - Feb 23, 2012 at 11:45 AM

He’s not going to Philly. They can’t do anything with Blanton and they’re not going to eat his salary. Plus they’re seem pretty high on that Worley kid as a starter. He’s too promising as a decent starter for them to relagate him to the bullpen. Although that’s what every thought about Kendrick. It would not surprise me if was the Royals. Why the Royals? Don’t know. Random stab in the dark.

9. Ari Collins - Feb 23, 2012 at 11:40 AM

The Ham Fighers!

10. renorocker - Feb 23, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Welcome to Kansas City Roy!!!

11. sportsdrenched.com - Feb 23, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Roy in Kansas City? Never happen. Doesn’t fit “The Process”. But I wouldn’t mind if Roy came to the Royals. I do know if any front office can lock down information like this it’s the Royals.

12. SmackSaw - Feb 23, 2012 at 12:03 PM

The Angels will swoop in for 5 years @ $75 million

• rscottlow - Feb 23, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I don’t think so. I can’t imagine that happening after the Pujols deal.

• SmackSaw - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I was being sarcastic. Nobody would give Oswalt five years.

13. APBA Guy - Feb 23, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Atlanta for Roy, or Maybe the Marlins? Both close to Weir, maybe they don’t project an immediate need for a starter, but Atlanta will certainly have someone hurt by May 1.

14. rscottlow - Feb 23, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I know Walt says it’s not going to happen, but maybe he’s headed to Cincinnati.

15. Utley's Hair - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:21 PM

He’s going home to try out doing nothing. If it’s not for him, he’ll sign with a contender midseason, like Pedro did with the Phightins in 2009. Maybe by then, Ruben will have a little wiggle room.

16. tommyrob4780 - Feb 24, 2012 at 11:50 AM

i hope redsox but if not what u gonna do but i think there’s a 99% chance he will be a sox

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3678)