Justin Verlander has his own cereal now

Feb 23, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT

justin verlander cereal

Sure, winning the Cy Young and MVP awards were nice, but Justin Verlander‘s outstanding 2011 season has led to something even bigger and more exciting: He has his own cereal.

Verlander appears on the box for a special-edition cereal called “Fastball Flakes” that will be sold in Michigan to raise money for the local VA Hospitals.

“Fastball Flakes” are also available online at PLBSports.com, which sells similar cereals featuring Jason Kendall, Marshall Faulk, Chad Ochocinco, David Eckstein, Doug Flutie, Wayne Chrebet, John Elway, Jerome Bettis, and more.

Our own Craig Calcaterra bought a box (and a t-shirt too!) of the Verlander cereal for his Tigers fan girlfriend, which is simultaneously adorable and something a person with a girlfriend of his own might endlessly mock him about. Which rules me out–shocking, I know–but don’t let that stop you!

UPDATE: Fan Graphs’ investigative reporting team looked into which player-endorsed cereals didn’t make the cut this year.

1. PolkaPatrol - Feb 23, 2012 at 12:27 PM

TIL there is a thing called “Peyton Hillis Redzone Salsa”. My life is complete.

2. rollinghighwayblues - Feb 23, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Those have to be the corniest cereal names ever.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Well, they are made with corn…

• rollinghighwayblues - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:14 PM

As I typed that, I knew someone was going to say that.

3. cur68 - Feb 23, 2012 at 12:31 PM

My favorite:
    “Name: Mike Napoli’s Sexual Chocolate
    Rejected Because: The “special ingredient” supplied by Napoli himself made a lot of people pregnant. Mostly women — but (curiously) some men, too.”

That Mike Napoli: he’s got some skillz.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Balls aren’t the only thing he catches.

• cur68 - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:23 PM

What, did he get Scioscia pregnant with his chocolate? Mike Napoli; Sexual Healer.

4. nolanwiffle - Feb 23, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Fastball Flakes? What were the odds of back-to-back Spaceman Lee posts?

5. papacrick - Feb 23, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Good item for the memorabilia collector. I’m gonna buy a box and never open it. It’l be worth something long down the road

6. Lukehart80 - Feb 23, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Didn’t Craig just buy this for his girlfriend? I can’t believe he didn’t write this post up himself, unless he wants to keep this cereal a secret, so there’s more for his special lady.

7. unknowneric - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Does he throw the spoon at you? That could leave marks!

8. Chris K - Feb 23, 2012 at 3:20 PM

I thought Craig had a wife and a kid? Did his marriage fall apart or was he never married to begin with?

• Old Gator - Feb 23, 2012 at 5:54 PM

There’s no reason why a successful blogger can’t have it all.

9. foreverchipper10 - Feb 23, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Blast! I cannot see any comments that were already posted so I apologize in advance if this was already said.

I want a box of these. I also will buy some Flutie Flakes if they are still available.

Also, to the rejected cereals, my fantasy baseball team two years ago was Honey Nut Ichiros.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3726)