MLB Network is going to mic-up players for a spring training game

Feb 23, 2012, 12:33 PM EDT

mic

I’ve mentioned it a few times before, but one of my favorite 1990s baseball things is watching Braves games on TBS and hearing a constant flow of Greg Maddux F-bombs through that networks’ seemingly over-sensitive field mics.  That doesn’t seem to happen very much these days. Maybe because players are more refined than Greg Maddux — hard not to be! — or maybe because of mic placement or what have you.

But those days may be back soon!

MLB Network today announced its 2012 Spring Training game schedule, featuring a groundbreaking presentation of live in-game audio. For the first time in an MLB game telecast, live audio content will air on a brief delay throughout the Spring Training game telecast of the Cleveland Indians at Arizona Diamondbacks on Wednesday, March 7 at 3:00 p.m. ET. In cooperation with the Major League Baseball Players Association, up to as many as six players on each team will wear live microphones during the game. Coaching staff will also wear live microphones throughout the game and live microphones will be positioned at each base, down the first- and third-base lines and along the outfield wall, producing in-game audio content on a scale that has not previously been done.

That “brief delay” is a bit of a drag if, like me, you just want to hear gratuitous profanity.  But those of you who want to hear what ballplayers say to one another and stuff, this should be cool.

But never fear: I will be in Arizona on March 7th, and I’ll try to be at that Indians-Diamondbacks game.  I’ll position myself near the field so I can hear the profanity and make a point to tweet it to all of you.  That way you can get the entire experience.

1. phukyouk - Feb 23, 2012 at 12:46 PM

too bad its not a tigers V Twins game. then you can hear something like this:

Cabrera: Hey, Price is up, wanna bet he hits it out of the park
    Verlander: I’ll take that bet
    Prince: *smashes one 3 miles long
    Cabrera: SI….
    Gandenhire: MOTHERFUCKER!

(sorry for any misspelled names)

2. rollinghighwayblues - Feb 23, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Craig, we’re the Maddux f-bombs anything like this?

Another one of my favorite unknown game clips.

• rollinghighwayblues - Feb 23, 2012 at 12:59 PM

This one isn’t bad either.

I love McCann’s exclamatory “Oh my God!” after the ball is 7 inches outside.

• cur68 - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Watched both of those ‘blues. Twice. I loved ‘em, swearing included. I miss real baseball by a factor too high to calculate, I’m having a crappy day from hell (my dog is so sick I fear for her life and I missed an important appointment due to a scheduling error this AM): this was a nice interlude from all that suckyness. Thanks man.

• rollinghighwayblues - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:19 PM

No problem, friend. Gotta hate those days. I watch both of those videos at least once a week…literally. I watch em when I’m mad, to cheer me up or just to blatantly laugh out loud at Beckett and McCann’s distaste for umpires. These videos remind me, spring is almost here and that means only one thing, Rogue Umpire Roundup!

• hasbeen5 - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I was watching that Braves game live. The best part about it was Ross had his gear on before McCann went out for that inning. McCann said “Hey get ready, I’m getting tossed.” Hahn is up there with Joe West on the Douchebagometer.

• nategearhart - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:48 PM

RHB…Ryan Bingham fan? Kudos if yes.

• rollinghighwayblues - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Nate, yes, the biggest. Puts the majority of most music acts to shame. Stumbled upon him one late night on CMT about 6 years ago and I’ve been hooked, to say the least, ever since.

• kopy - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Haha glad I clicked on this (first one). I distinctly remember watching this as a Twins fan. The home plate umpire had the worst strike zone that day. Lots of ejections all around because of it.

3. buffalomafia - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:02 PM

There should be a seperate channel to hear swear words!

• rollinghighwayblues - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I’ve been thinking of this idea for about two years. Offer a special package such as MLB extra innings or partner with them to where they have microphones hooked up throughout the field, on certain players, managers and umpires and one can hear the entire experience , word for word. Granted, it would be really hard for everyone to agree to wear the damn things but I can dream cant I?

4. kicksave1980 - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:34 PM

The best part is going to be when one of the production team members leaks an unedited clip, a-la Earl Weaver and his famous 3 minute umpire tirade.

Or like the clip from the 1991 Stanley Cup finals. “Bellows, you must be really hurt. Lay on the ice like a broad, ya f’ing fa^^ot.”

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act