Omar Vizquel: “This will likely be my last year”

Feb 23, 2012, 4:58 PM EDT

Omar Vizquel

Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com was on hand today when Blue Jays shortstop Omar Vizquel said today that 2012 will likely be his last year:

“This will likely be my last year.  My motivation is to challenge myself to play another year. I know every year it starts to get a little harder for yourself and it’s always a challenge to be on a Major League team at an older age. I think as long as time has been going by, I feel more pride of the things I have accomplished in my career.”

Not terribly surprising, but then again, I would have been surprised if he had said such a thing at any point in the past five years. Dude began pro ball in 1984. He made his major league debut before I got my driver’s license. He’s got some miles on that odometer.

With over 2,800 career hits, 11 gold gloves and a reputation among everyone on the planet not named Jose Mesa as being a great guy, I have this feeling he’s going to go into the Hall of Fame someday.  Does he deserve it?  Eh, on this I agree with Matthew.  But as we’ve seen with a lot of guys, deserve’s got nothin’ to do with it. And frankly, the world won’t end if he does make it to Cooperstown.

1. takemytalentstosoutheuclid - Feb 23, 2012 at 5:10 PM

I had the pleasure of watching Omar play on the Indians teams of the 90’s. This man did things defensively that were just plain amazing. This man deserves to be in Cooperstown just for the sheer number of “Holy Crap, did he really just do that?” plays alone. The few years he was teamed with Robbie Alomar were simply the best up the middle duo I have ever seen.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 23, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Vizquel’s simply a guy you have to root for. He’s smart, brilliant with a glove, and he’s outlasted his peers. Truly a remarkable guy and ballplayer.

2. diehardcubbiefan4life - Feb 23, 2012 at 5:15 PM

People like Tim Wakefield and Omar Vizquel: If not the HOF, they’re always in the Hall of Awesome in my book

3. missthedayswhenwedidnthavetologin - Feb 23, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Looks cool in that Toronto uniform

4. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 23, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Once he and Moyer retire, there will be no active player in MLB that played in a game in the 1980’s.

5. proudlycanadian - Feb 23, 2012 at 6:25 PM

The Jays believe that he will have a positive influence on the other infielders in camp.

6. foreverchipper10 - Feb 24, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Started pro ball in 84 eh? I was BORN in 83. Yowza.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3125)