Ozzie Guillen says Hanley Ramirez will stay at third base even if Jose Reyes is injured

Feb 23, 2012, 1:43 PM EDT

hanley getty Getty Images

Now that Hanley Ramirez has put to rest all the offseason speculation about his willingness to play third base the next question is whether the Marlins would move him back to shortstop if Jose Reyes is on the disabled list.

Ozzie Guillen gave a pretty adamant “no” to that question today, telling Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald:

I won’t play with Hanley’s mind. It’s going to be hard for him to move to shortstop, and then when Reyes is ready, back to third base. Then we’re abusing this kid and we don’t respect him.

So who would step in at shortstop if Reyes goes down? Guillen pointed to Emilio Bonifacio, who’s slated to be the Opening Day center fielder but has played 96 games at shortstop in the majors.

Of course, if Reyes were to get injured and the recovery timetable was more than a few weeks it wouldn’t be shocking to see Guillen change his mind. Ramirez has been a starting shortstop in the majors for 824 games and more than 7,000 innings, so it’s tough to imagine Guillen playing Bonifacio there every day for an extended period with Ramirez standing right next to him. For a game here or there, though, it makes some sense.

1. phukyouk - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:50 PM

IF?

• El Bravo - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:57 PM

WHEN.

• phukyouk - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:11 PM

yet another HBT staffer typo

2. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Bonifacio has also played some 3B, so you figure if Reyes gets hurt it will be Hanley and Bonifacio on the left side of the infield in some combination. If that is the case, why move Hanley? It is not like they have some stud 3B waiting in the wings to take over the job.

3. shaggylocks - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Sounds like Ozzie caught Ramirez leaving banana peels and wet bars of soap scattered around Reyes’ locker…

4. Old Gator - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:24 PM

At times, even Slobbering Ozzie doesn’t sound as dumb as he actually is.

• vivabear - Feb 23, 2012 at 3:05 PM

So….what facts are you using to label Ozzie dumb?

• Old Gator - Feb 23, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Well, certainly not the same ones I would use to label you dumb. You’re clearly not the same kind of idiot, since Slobbering Ozzie demonstrates occasional reading abilities – he actually gets upset by things he reads about himself – whereas anyone clueless enough to ask the question you just asked plainly has no taste for paper trails or history. Ozzie has left a trail, years long, of witless belligerence, internecine battles with his own players, who he thinks nothing of belittling in public, and taking his personal problems with players and management alike public when quieter means of redress always exist. He’s a blowhard, a clown and a gutter-mouthed knuckledragger. And, he breeds a true strain of like-mindless offspring – as if his idiocy required genetic as well as textual validation.

But at least he’s interesting sometimes – from an armchair psychopathologist’s point of view, anyway.

• El Bravo - Feb 23, 2012 at 5:13 PM

…and I thoroughly agree with OG. That said, OG knows I still love me some Ozzie. Always will. The guy has a solid track record of winning games and a World Series of course. I do place a good amount of credit on his managing of that 05 team.

Sometimes actions do speak louder than words. In this case, the actions need to be louder than a banshee being raped by a hyena in front of 10,000 megaphones in order to drown out his consistent, loudmouthed “witless billigerence”.

• Old Gator - Feb 23, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Yeah, Slobbering Ozzie is just Forrest Gump with an army latrine for a mouth.

• vivabear - Feb 23, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Gator – once again your post in no way answers the question posed to you. The definition of dumb is lacking intelligence, or lacking the ability of speech. I mean, has Ozzie ever shown either of these traits? Certainly not the ability to speak. Lacking tact and professionalism when dealing with others – maybe, certainly not intelligence.

Now you’ve moved on to unfounded personal attacks – saying I’m an idiot?

• vivabear - Feb 23, 2012 at 10:13 PM

El Bravo – not sure the nature of you quotation marks…but I’m assuming by ‘witless billigerence’, you actually mean witless belligerence?

• Old Gator - Feb 23, 2012 at 11:45 PM

What’s “unfounded” about calling you an idiot?

• Old Gator - Feb 23, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Oops, hit “post” too soon.

Point two: the conduct I’ve cited presents an adequate sample of evidence that intelligence, and surely judgment, is severely lacking in Slobbering Ozzie’s case. If you actually think otherwise, I’d say your standard for intelligence is pretty low. But then, you’ve demonstrated ample evidence of same anyway.

Point three: Since you opened this lame excuse for a dialogue (and I accept full responsibility for wasting my time replying to you at all) with a completely unsolicited denigration of a post I put up, you’ve lushly earned the insults I vollied back at you. Stop whining and being sanctimonious about it. I didn’t come looking for you – there are plenty of trolls and trogs out here in the real world. You came looking for me.

I do need to sit down, though, and figure out why I’m wasting my time even responding to you. At this point in my life, I have enough to do that I shouldn’t need to create such pointless synthetic interest. You are beginning to bore me spitless. Or no, you have been boring me spitless since your first gratuitous insults going back several weeks.

• vivabear - Feb 24, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Gator – ” the conduct I’ve cited ” where exactly is this at?

“your first gratuitous insults” not really insults – I simply pointed out your posts have no value to myself, along with the others on this board who have made the same know. And, I’m going out on a limb here, but it’s well within reason to suspect many others who haven’t specifically stated so on this board.

You wouldn’t have to waste as much time responding to me if you would simply and directly answer what’s asked of you. Instead you continue to talk in circles on your needlessly wordy posts. Soon enough you will abandon this post, when you realize you can’t create anymore misinformation to back up your ridiculous comments.

“What’s “unfounded” about calling you an idiot?” Again…what’s your evidence here?

This all comes down to, Ozzie must have some level of intelligence to have been the manager of two MLB teams, and winning a World Series title with one of them. Most of his outrageous behavior is simply his way of forcing others to do what he wants. I’d say there’s some intelligence in that as well. Maybe not the accepted way of going about things, but you can’t argue with results. He did want to manager Miami and he is now doing so.

• cur68 - Feb 23, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Oz nailed this one IMO, Gator. Since there seems to be some dissension as to his “dumbness”, I’m gonna go with that he sure seems to say things that make situations worse rather than better a lot of the times, but this time he did the opposite.

• Old Gator - Feb 23, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Well yeah, I do like to be objective on rare occasions and gave him the backhanded compliment he deserved for it, did I not? However much of a scirocco-mouthed (the vulvic thing has gotten a little old) nincompoop he is, he has the same fair chance as a roomful of monkeys and typewriters at arriving at a coherent statement. And it’s not that I am totally devoid of sympathy for him: with the Chihuahua and Scrooge McLoria on one side, and the Hanster and Krazy Karlos Lamebraino on the other, he resembles a badly brought up patrol threading its way through a field of human IEDs on a pitch black night.

And more credit where it’s do: he has dressed better this orf-season than I would have expected. His shirts, especially, have been noteworthy for their versatility; you could say of them, as the Governator said of his shirt in Running Man (I think), that your could throw up on them and no one would notice.

• Old Gator - Feb 23, 2012 at 5:48 PM

…where it’s due.

Edit function!
        Edit function!
        EDIT FUNCTION!

5. humanexcrement - Feb 23, 2012 at 3:09 PM

News flash: Hanley Ramirez sucks, and he’s going to suck no matter what position he plays. he’s got all the talent, but doesn’t give a shit about the game. He cares about making money and being cool. Whether he makes a position shift or not, he’s going to Daryl Strawberry, Elijah Dukes, Nyjer Morgan his way out of the game. it’s only a matter of time.

• ptfu - Feb 23, 2012 at 4:25 PM

News flash: Hanley has been good to excellent every year before last year. New team, new manager, and a real chance to contend could motivate him back into awesomeness. He definitely does not suck as a ballplayer. As for sucking at being a human being, well, he ain’t great but he could do a lot worse.

Your comparison of Hanley to Straw/Dukes/Nyjer also fails. Straw & Dukes were druggies as well as head cases/douchenozzles. Hanley’s never been on anything as far as anyone knows. As for Nyjer, he’s a head case who’s having some success with the Brewers–not out of the game, as you implied.

Hanley’s pouting, which is nowhere near DUI, threatening one’s wife, or being on cocaine. That cat’s got quite a few lives left.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate