Pirates President Frank Coonelly was arrested for DUI back in December

Feb 23, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT

Frank Coonelly AP

From Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, we learn that Pirates president Frank Coonelly has been charged with four counts related to drunken driving. Coonelly was arrested on Dec. 22 and charged him with drunken driving, driving the wrong way, careless driving and driving with a blood-alcohol content of at least .16.

That is some big league drunk driving.  Coonelly has released a statement:

“My actions that evening were irresponsible and wrong. I take full and sole responsibility for them. There is no excuse for ever driving under the influence of alcohol. My wife and I have preached to our children about the dangers of driving while under the influence of alcohol, not only for themselves but for the innocent drivers, passengers and pedestrians on the road. I am embarrassed that I failed to follow this advice myself on this occasion and extremely grateful no one was injured or adversely affected by this serious lapse of judgment.”

“I have apologized to my wife and children, to Bob Nutting and to all of those at the Pirates organization who work so tirelessly for the club. I would also like to apologize to all of the fans and friends of the Pittsburgh Pirates. My conduct that night was uncharacteristic to my personally held values and not who I am. I will learn from this serious lapse of judgment.”

Coonelly is easily the highest-ranking baseball figure to be charged with drunk driving.  Not only is he the Pirates’ team president, but he spent a decade as general counsel for Major League Baseball.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 23, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I’m seriously waiting for the news headline “Everyone working in MLB was arrested for a DUI today…”

GET A F****G CAB/LIMO, YOU RICH SCHMUCKS. My usual wit and calm demeanor goes out the window when I see multiple people in baseball do something this wreckless.

• racksie - Feb 23, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Shocking to see that “wit and calm demeanor go out the window.” Hope it comes back and brings your “well thought out and, fair, opinions” with it.

2. phukyouk - Feb 23, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Not only is he the Pirates’ team president, but he’s also a member
    FTFY

3. uyf1950 - Feb 23, 2012 at 11:34 AM

He obviously was distraught at learning back in December the Yankees wanted more for AJ then he was willing to give up. And it drove him to drink.

All kidding aside you would think he would know better. He could have killed himself or worse yet killed some innocent person. PLEASE DON’T DRINK AND DRIVE, ANYONE.

4. tuftsb - Feb 23, 2012 at 11:36 AM

The 364 day point until the Mayan end of the world must have affected him greatly.

5. toegoat - Feb 23, 2012 at 11:38 AM

He should have been arrested for wreckless management of a ball club and assault on fans for that piss-poor team they put on the field every year.
    Also I am noticing a trend of lying/coverup in that organization, as a pgh native I refuse to buy a single ticket this upcoming season. Might even turn down the free ones (pirate tix might be the easiest tix to score in ALL of sports.

6. brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Feb 23, 2012 at 11:38 AM

He has got to go.

7. pisano - Feb 23, 2012 at 11:55 AM

This news explains the A.J. Burnett trade, you’d have to be drunk to want him.

8. buffalomafia - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Cheap bastard! Spend some money to make Pirates better?!

9. tone360 - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:47 PM

So what?

10. steelerswin6 - Feb 24, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Coonelly, into phone: Listen, buddy, you end this promotion now, or I’ll have all our fans keep boycotting your bar.
    Bar Owner: Sir, you’re sitting in front of me. You’re on your fourth beer.

Coonelly: These beers come damn cheap.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3747)