Roy Oswalt is expected to make an announcement of some kind today

Feb 23, 2012, 7:46 AM EDT

oswalt face getty Getty Images

UPDATE:  Or not St. Louis.  At this point I think Oswalt is going to announce where he intends to eat lunch later today.

UPDATE: Signs may be pointing to St. Louis, as Joe Strauss of the Post-Dispatch hears.  Heyman, meanwhile, is hearing that it’s not Boston or Texas.

7:46 AMRoy Oswalt’s agent tells Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston that he’s going to make an announcement today.  No one knows what that announcement is, however.  Edes says the Red Sox still have an interest in him.  Oswalt himself apparently has interest in the Rangers and Cardinals, though it’s unclear if they have space for him.

If you made me guess, I’d say that he’s going to agree to pitch for Boston. But I’m wondering if he’s not willing to go all Andy Pettitte/Roger Clemens with this thing and announce that he’s going to wait until midseason or something and be a hired gun for a playoff contender.

If he did that, I bet the money would be more or less the same as what he’d get by settling now. Of course that would require him expanding his horizons in terms of where he’d play. Not doing that is what seems to have gotten him where he is now: past pitchers and catchers reporting dates without having a team.

1. proudlycanadian - Feb 23, 2012 at 7:52 AM

OMG! The angst and drama might soon be over.

2. greymares - Feb 23, 2012 at 8:34 AM

he will announce that he will pitch for the Biloxi Lions of the sunday afternoon “Beer” league.

3. phillyphreak - Feb 23, 2012 at 8:44 AM

I have it on good authority that his announcement will be:

In other news, I still have some spots open in an unofficial HBT fantasy league. If interested email me: this handle at yahoo.

• phukyouk - Feb 23, 2012 at 9:09 AM

people dont really say handle anymore….

• Ari Collins - Feb 23, 2012 at 9:28 AM

But maybe they should!

• phillyphreak - Feb 23, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Then I’m kicking it old school.

• phukyouk - Feb 23, 2012 at 9:59 AM

im not judging.. im just saying that its usually “screen name”. But i do like kickin’ it ‘ol school

• pellypell - Feb 23, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Breaker 1-9, do you copy PhillyPhreak? Gone need a meat wagon for Roy O, he looks to be greasy side up. Over, good buddy.

• phukyouk - Feb 23, 2012 at 10:10 AM

• pellypell - Feb 23, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Thinking more along the lines of:

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yt9R0I3gSk&w=560&h=315%5D

4. Ari Collins - Feb 23, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Sounds like St. Louis to me. Oh well. A 92-win team with an even shot at the playoffs it is.

5. dirtyharry1971 - Feb 23, 2012 at 9:59 AM

who cares, guy will spend at least 45% of the season on the DL and thats being nice

• Ari Collins - Feb 23, 2012 at 10:51 AM

He pitched more than that last year. And he’s pitched 180 innings every single other year the last 10 years. And he came back healthy and throwing as well as ever after his DL stint. So… I’m going to guess you’re wrong.

6. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 23, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Yay. Clap.

7. rscottlow - Feb 23, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Cincinnati?

• rscottlow - Feb 23, 2012 at 12:47 PM

That would totally solidify Cincinnati’s rotation. It would give Chapman time to get used to being a starter in AAA and with Latos, Cueto, Arroyo, and Bailey or Leake, I think the Reds would be looking pretty good.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5263)