Feb 23, 2012, 7:46 AM EST
UPDATE: Or not St. Louis. At this point I think Oswalt is going to announce where he intends to eat lunch later today.
UPDATE: Signs may be pointing to St. Louis, as Joe Strauss of the Post-Dispatch hears. Heyman, meanwhile, is hearing that it’s not Boston or Texas.
7:46 AM: Roy Oswalt’s agent tells Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston that he’s going to make an announcement today. No one knows what that announcement is, however. Edes says the Red Sox still have an interest in him. Oswalt himself apparently has interest in the Rangers and Cardinals, though it’s unclear if they have space for him.
If you made me guess, I’d say that he’s going to agree to pitch for Boston. But I’m wondering if he’s not willing to go all Andy Pettitte/Roger Clemens with this thing and announce that he’s going to wait until midseason or something and be a hired gun for a playoff contender.
If he did that, I bet the money would be more or less the same as what he’d get by settling now. Of course that would require him expanding his horizons in terms of where he’d play. Not doing that is what seems to have gotten him where he is now: past pitchers and catchers reporting dates without having a team.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)