Feb 23, 2012, 7:46 AM EDT
UPDATE: Or not St. Louis. At this point I think Oswalt is going to announce where he intends to eat lunch later today.
UPDATE: Signs may be pointing to St. Louis, as Joe Strauss of the Post-Dispatch hears. Heyman, meanwhile, is hearing that it’s not Boston or Texas.
7:46 AM: Roy Oswalt’s agent tells Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston that he’s going to make an announcement today. No one knows what that announcement is, however. Edes says the Red Sox still have an interest in him. Oswalt himself apparently has interest in the Rangers and Cardinals, though it’s unclear if they have space for him.
If you made me guess, I’d say that he’s going to agree to pitch for Boston. But I’m wondering if he’s not willing to go all Andy Pettitte/Roger Clemens with this thing and announce that he’s going to wait until midseason or something and be a hired gun for a playoff contender.
If he did that, I bet the money would be more or less the same as what he’d get by settling now. Of course that would require him expanding his horizons in terms of where he’d play. Not doing that is what seems to have gotten him where he is now: past pitchers and catchers reporting dates without having a team.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)