Feb 23, 2012, 7:46 AM EST
UPDATE: Or not St. Louis. At this point I think Oswalt is going to announce where he intends to eat lunch later today.
UPDATE: Signs may be pointing to St. Louis, as Joe Strauss of the Post-Dispatch hears. Heyman, meanwhile, is hearing that it’s not Boston or Texas.
7:46 AM: Roy Oswalt’s agent tells Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston that he’s going to make an announcement today. No one knows what that announcement is, however. Edes says the Red Sox still have an interest in him. Oswalt himself apparently has interest in the Rangers and Cardinals, though it’s unclear if they have space for him.
If you made me guess, I’d say that he’s going to agree to pitch for Boston. But I’m wondering if he’s not willing to go all Andy Pettitte/Roger Clemens with this thing and announce that he’s going to wait until midseason or something and be a hired gun for a playoff contender.
If he did that, I bet the money would be more or less the same as what he’d get by settling now. Of course that would require him expanding his horizons in terms of where he’d play. Not doing that is what seems to have gotten him where he is now: past pitchers and catchers reporting dates without having a team.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)