Feb 23, 2012, 7:46 AM EDT
UPDATE: Or not St. Louis. At this point I think Oswalt is going to announce where he intends to eat lunch later today.
UPDATE: Signs may be pointing to St. Louis, as Joe Strauss of the Post-Dispatch hears. Heyman, meanwhile, is hearing that it’s not Boston or Texas.
7:46 AM: Roy Oswalt’s agent tells Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston that he’s going to make an announcement today. No one knows what that announcement is, however. Edes says the Red Sox still have an interest in him. Oswalt himself apparently has interest in the Rangers and Cardinals, though it’s unclear if they have space for him.
If you made me guess, I’d say that he’s going to agree to pitch for Boston. But I’m wondering if he’s not willing to go all Andy Pettitte/Roger Clemens with this thing and announce that he’s going to wait until midseason or something and be a hired gun for a playoff contender.
If he did that, I bet the money would be more or less the same as what he’d get by settling now. Of course that would require him expanding his horizons in terms of where he’d play. Not doing that is what seems to have gotten him where he is now: past pitchers and catchers reporting dates without having a team.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 6
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 24
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 57
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 55
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 18
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)