Roy Oswalt is probably going to pull a Roger Clemens, come back mid-season

Feb 23, 2012, 1:19 PM EDT

oswalt getty Getty Images

Roy Oswalt still plans on making an announcement later today, but Jerry Crasnick has some inside dirt:  Oswalt is likely going to pull a Roger Clemens and come back in the middle of the season:

Oswalt, 34, has told teams that he plans to keep throwing, stay ready and would be willing to return during the season if nothing materializes before then. That approach would mirror what Clemens did in 2006 and 2007, when he returned in June to pitch for the Houston Astros and then the New York Yankees.

With the Rangers, Cardinals and Red Sox all ruled out today, that seems like his most likely option, though he is leaving himself some wiggle room there.  And to be honest, it may be his most lucrative one. Every team thinks they have a decent rotation now. Such is the nature of February.  When reality intrudes, however, and clubs are holding their rotations together with baling wire and chewing gum, Roy Oswalt is going to look like a pretty damn good option.

1. phukyouk - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I still cannot believe that the Yanks gave Clemens 9 mil for tht haf of a season.

just as a side question has this ever worked out in the past?

• Ari Collins - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Clemens the year before with the Astros was fantastic for half a season.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 24, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Pedro wasn’t half bad in 2009.

2. uyf1950 - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Craig, what is “chewing come”?

• Ari Collins - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Pretty sure he means “chewing gum.”

Also: ewww.

• phukyouk - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:26 PM

a VERY VERY bad typo

• uyf1950 - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:30 PM

My friend I agree with your comment considering the only letter the 2 words have in common is “m”.

• phukyouk - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:39 PM

how come Craig gets an Edit Function?

• thinman61 - Feb 23, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Shyster’s privilege.

• cur68 - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Hey, at least he can fix it up: we’re all stuck with a bunch of inane comments that’ll look out of place once he does.

• uyf1950 - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Agreed. My comments going to look really stupid here if he fixes his “TYPO”.

• cur68 - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Agreed. I feel for you. I will try to help.

*AHEM* To the greater HBT community, assorted rabble, trollz, and people who just lurk:
        Craig had a typo in the body of this post’s text. Instead of the word “gum” he had…another word. It looked…odd. He’s fixed it. For the original text please see Ultimate Yankee Fan’s original comment. We all make mistakes, so I trust none of you will judge too harshly.

• uyf1950 - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:43 PM

cur68 – Thank you, I feel much better now.

• cleverbob - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:43 PM

What the hell is everyone talking about?

• Utley's Hair - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Just be careful what you say, since he can remove individual comments, also.

• uyf1950 - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:52 PM

If I may be allowed to quote John Emerich Edward Dalberg-Acton: “Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely”.

Utley’s Hair, we are all at the mercy of our blog leader.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 23, 2012 at 4:44 PM

He does look a wee bit like the man behind the curtain, doesn’t he?

• marshmallowsnake - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:32 PM

New protein shake?

• uyf1950 - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:34 PM

No thank you. I’ll stick with milk.

• marshmallowsnake - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Obviously…

• Glenn - Feb 23, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Paging Dr Freud!

3. phillyphreak - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Seems like a good move for him. I’m sure he’ll get a lot more phone calls come midseason.

4. volcom2143 - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:29 PM

freudian slip???

5. Craig Calcaterra - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:34 PM

1. HOLY CRAP that was an unfortunate typo.

2. It was a typo, inasmuch as I tend to say words in my head as I type, and gum/come was close enough to where, HOLY CRAP that was bad.

3. You all can’t give me too much crap for your comments looking dumb now that I fixed it. Because, really, you HAD to know that I’d fix it, right?

In other news: HOLY CRAP

• phukyouk - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:43 PM

your typo and the subsequent comments made my day, thank you!

• cur68 - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Agree. This has to be his best post in quite some time.

• cur68 - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I keep trying to reply to you ‘youk, but I think Craig’s banned me for taunting him (possibly as far back as that crack about wanting Gleeman’s hair: he can be sensitive, hirsutically wise). Anyhow, in the off chance this one makes it in, I thought I’d take another crack at pointing out that this has been Craig’s most entertaining post in some time (though I did really enjoy the Miggy Cabrera “¡Si, Motherf**ker!” post).

• marshmallowsnake - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Well, now we know what you watch when no one is home and you are blogging. It is ok…we watch too. Sometimes…

• marshmallowsnake - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Oh, and you should really stop trolling for comments ;)

6. heynerdlinger - Feb 23, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Also, it’s ‘baling’ wire. As in hay bales, not bails.

7. yankeesgameday - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:04 PM

“oh my god! Roy Oswalt is in George’s box.”

• yankeesgameday - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Just doesn’t have the same ring to it.

• sportsdrenched.com - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:50 PM

I thought it was “Oh My goodness gracious!”

8. psousa1 - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:18 PM

When I saw that he was going to ‘pull a Clemens’ I thought it meant he was going to get really fat and chase anything in a skirt.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:55 PM

That comment nearly had me fall out of my chair laughing.

9. stabonerichard - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:27 PM

If this isn’t just a ploy to drum up more interest with the Opening Day clock ticking, I really don’t understand it.

If Oswalt’s hesitancy to sign has been financially motivated, waiting till mid-season to sign a deal is obviously not going to put more $$ into his bank account. Maybe on some sort of principle, half a season at $6 *feels* better to Roy than a full season at $9M, but that’s a silly perspective.

And more importantly, just from a pure competitive standpoint, is a guy like Roy really wanting/willing to sit on the sidelines for half a season waiting for his agent’s phone to ring? That is weak.

So yeah, I dunno. I’d like to think Roy is just making a last-ditch effort to get a deal more to his liking, ultimately knowing deep down he wants to be in camp. But who knows.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 23, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Wait…your dad’s name is Sylvester Stabone?

• stabonerichard - Feb 23, 2012 at 3:16 PM

And, no, people call me Boner.

• phillyphreak - Feb 23, 2012 at 3:24 PM

People like Mike Seaver?

• Utley's Hair - Feb 23, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Sorry. I had to do that, if only to guage if there were any newbies—relatively or otherwise—out there who were raised in my era. And phillyphreak is one of them. Boner was Growing Pains’ token Skippy Handleman.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 23, 2012 at 3:03 PM

But, once again, people are not grasping the fact that he is on record as saying that if the situation is not what he thinks is a good fit, HE CAN WALK AWAY. He’s made enough money to support his family. He isn’t after the money. He’s after a situation that is better than just walking away from the game, which he says he can absolutely do in a heartbeat.

• stabonerichard - Feb 23, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Yeah, like I mentioned, if it *was* financially motivated it would seem to be a silly stance he’s taking here. So I tend to believe that it’s not about the money, considering Oswalt has made close to $100M in salary during his career, with endorsements probably pushing it over that mark.

So then what I really don’t get is how the competitive side of Roy Oswalt can say that, at age 34 (nearly a decade younger than Clemens when he was going thru this song & dance), he’s content to just walk away. Or hang out on his couch watching games, while his agent fields calls till midseason.

Really, Roy??

• lanflfan - Feb 23, 2012 at 3:13 PM

I’d like to believe players when they say they can walk away, but most have a very difficult time actually staying away (especially players Oswalt’s age) from the game. Not saying Roy will, but I miss playing baseball and football and I did neither at anything above high school level. I can’t imagine playing professional sports and stepping away. That first year must be hell, and the temptation to return is too high for some (mostly to their detriment).

• sportsdrenched.com - Feb 23, 2012 at 3:39 PM

When he took his sabbitacal last spring to help clean up his hometown I wondered if he was really committed to playing baseball. We’ll never know what’s really going through his head, but this kind of stuff just screams mercenary to me. Well, more mercenary than normal.

• Ari Collins - Feb 23, 2012 at 6:40 PM

I don’t understand how that’s mercenary. If he were just after money, he’d have signed with Boston or Detroit. He cares about living near home, and if he can’t play baseball near home, he doesn’t want to play. When did caring about your family first become a character flaw?

10. uyf1950 - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Apparently someone has taken offense to a comment. Since nothing I’m posting for the last hour or so is showing up.

11. uyf1950 - Feb 23, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Let’s see if this shows up as a comment. We appear to be having issues again with comment not showing up here on HBT.

12. uyf1950 - Feb 23, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Let’s see if this message shows up. The others I’ve tried to post haven’t for the past couple of hours.

13. hank10 - Feb 23, 2012 at 3:25 PM

In the meantime he will operate ‘Roy’s Landscaping and Hauling Services’ where he will operate heavy construction equipment while nursing a sore back.

• cur68 - Feb 23, 2012 at 3:44 PM

You mean while helping his friends and neighbors after a tornado? Yeah, probably. He seems cool like that. What’s your point?

14. uyf1950 - Feb 23, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I keep trying. See if this comment shows up. The others I’ve tried to post for the past couple of hours haven’t.

15. uyf1950 - Feb 23, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Let’s keep trying. See if this post shows up. The others I’ve tried posting for the past few hours haven’t.

• cur68 - Feb 23, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Same thing’s been happening to me, UYF. Now I look a bit nuts, as they all appear one after the other…like yours are doing, in fact. Solidarity, bro.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 24, 2012 at 3:48 AM

Meh. You’re from the Great White North and uyf is a Yankees fan, so you’re both nuts—NVTS, nuts!!!

16. randygnyc - Feb 23, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Not a bad idea for a guy willing to otherwise retire. He’ll be holding all the cards when the desperate teams come knocking. He’ll be negotiating from a position of strength. He’ll only have to work a half of a season. He’s assured of going to a contender. Not much downside, except he’ll be known as a mercenary rather than a teammate.

17. Old Gator - Feb 23, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Roy, just stick around a little while till Krazy Karlos Lamebraino implodes. The Feesh will snatch you up like a northern snakehead in a trout hatchery.

18. uyf1950 - Feb 23, 2012 at 4:17 PM

This is a test. Will this post?

• Old Gator - Feb 23, 2012 at 6:00 PM

No, and on top of that, your canary just turned yellow.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 24, 2012 at 3:44 AM

No need to get testy, there, uyf. Sometimes it gets pretty loud around here that you can’t really be heard. :P

19. kcredneck - Feb 23, 2012 at 7:55 PM

A-HOLE! BS! RULES CHANGE!!!”””

• Utley's Hair - Feb 23, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Um…care to elaborate on your obviously well-thought-out comment there? Or was that some sort of bizarre interwebs Tourette-esque outburst?

20. kcredneck - Feb 23, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Hairboy or girl, sorry those big words confused you!

• cur68 - Feb 23, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Now I’m even more confused. WTF are you talking about, dude? What rules? You haven’t explained a thing. I think Utley’s Hair is right: “bizarre interwebs Tourette-esque outburst” it is.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 24, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Too bad. I guess you can’t explain what you were shouting about there, either. Maybe you could have defended it if you could have actually explained it, but I guess it was just a bizarre Tourette-esque outburst.

Who would be the “A-HOLE?” A guy who needn’t clear where or whether he signs at all with the likes of anonymous interwebs gumflappers like you or me or even not-so anonymous bloggers like Craig?

What are you referring to as “BS?” The fact that a guy who has said that he was willing to just walk away if he didn’t find a situation that is adequate for himself, since he has already made enough money to support himself and his family might actually do just that? Pity that.

What is this “RULES CHANGE” to which you refer? I guess you don’t really like the whole free agency process, do you? Sorry about that, but I don’t think they’ll change it for you. So you might want to make peace with it and get over it, or else you’ll just set yourself up for petty disappointment for as long as you follow sports in general, since they have it MLB, as well as in all the others.

21. stex52 - Feb 23, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Oswalt overplayed his hand in the negotiations. He clearly didn’t realize the extent to which some teams didn’t trust his back; and the teams he wanted to go to were already pretty solid. But he will come back. Not for the money, but because he loves to compete. I don’t think the title even means as much to him as just being out there competing. And someone will give him a call in two or three months. And if he decides not to; then I respect that.

But I wish StL had taken the plunge. Carpenter has been fragile in the past and Wainwright is just back from surgery. On paper they are deep; but they could lose it quickly.

22. kcredneck - Feb 24, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Hairboy, get a life or a boyfriend, you spend way to much time on this app.

23. voipcallrecording - Aug 28, 2012 at 5:53 AM

Great blog, I really wish i could come but in going in to surgery for my Back pain and spinal care in Manchester on the week. so disappointing. I could play in the place of anyone on STL even with this back!

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3205)