Feb 23, 2012, 4:10 PM EST
UPDATE: Martin’s agent told Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York that the Yankees are now pitching the idea of figuring out a three-year deal that would cancel out his one-year contract, but “negotiations are in the early stages.”
Russell Martin and the Yankees avoided arbitration by signing a one-year, $7.5 million contract back in January, but the catcher revealed yesterday that the two sides had discussed a three-year extension before settling on the one-season pact.
Martin will be eligible for free agency after the season, but made it pretty clear to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com that he hopes to remain in New York long term, saying: “I love being here. Just the guys, the organization, the way they handle their business, it’s a fun environment.”
He got off to a great start last season and made the All-Star team, but then slumped after April and finished with with a career-low .237 batting average and .324 on-base percentage. He did smack 18 homers, which were Martin’s most since 2007, and produced a .732 OPS that was solidly above average for catchers.
Oh, and the 29-year-old catcher is in The Best Shape Of His Life. Again.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)