Feb 23, 2012, 4:10 PM EDT
UPDATE: Martin’s agent told Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York that the Yankees are now pitching the idea of figuring out a three-year deal that would cancel out his one-year contract, but “negotiations are in the early stages.”
Russell Martin and the Yankees avoided arbitration by signing a one-year, $7.5 million contract back in January, but the catcher revealed yesterday that the two sides had discussed a three-year extension before settling on the one-season pact.
Martin will be eligible for free agency after the season, but made it pretty clear to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com that he hopes to remain in New York long term, saying: “I love being here. Just the guys, the organization, the way they handle their business, it’s a fun environment.”
He got off to a great start last season and made the All-Star team, but then slumped after April and finished with with a career-low .237 batting average and .324 on-base percentage. He did smack 18 homers, which were Martin’s most since 2007, and produced a .732 OPS that was solidly above average for catchers.
Oh, and the 29-year-old catcher is in The Best Shape Of His Life. Again.
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 2
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 29
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 143
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)