Feb 24, 2012, 9:05 PM EDT
Adam Wainwright required Tommy John surgery after feeling discomfort in his right elbow while throwing batting practice almost exactly one year ago. Earlier today, Wainwright was right back at it, throwing batting practice to teammates at Cardinals’ camp in Jupiter, Florida.
While Wainwright hasn’t felt any soreness or tightness in his surgically-repaired elbow thus far, he told Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com that he was relieved to put this first session of batting practice behind him.
“This [gave] me a chance to conquer it,” Wainwright said. “This [gave] me a chance to get over that.”
Wainwright threw both fastballs and breaking pitches to infielder Tyler Greene and minor league first baseman Matt Adams during today’s 11-minute session. He told Langosch that he was pleased with his command and found himself throwing with more intensity than in recent bullpen sessions.
“Each time I throw, I let my body do it naturally,” Wainwright said. “I’m not trying to force anything. I’m out there just going through my delivery and my arm. Whatever comes out of it is what’s going to come out of it. Today, I noticed there was a little more something there then there was before.”
Wainwright was one of the best starting pitchers in the game prior to the surgery, posting a 2.93 ERA from 2007-2010. He eclipsed 230 innings in 2009 and 2010, finishing in the top three for the National League Cy Young Award in each season.
The defending World Series champions won’t have Albert Pujols at first base this season, but the return of Wainwright and the addition of Carlos Beltran should put them in fine position to be contenders once again.
Jun 30, 2015, 6:35 PM EDT
Tim Lincecum will be placed on the disabled list with a forearm bruise to open a rotation spot.
Jun 30, 2015, 5:23 PM EDT
Like pretty much everyone else, actually.
Jun 30, 2015, 4:29 PM EDT
Which was pretty much the only choice they had, yes?
Jun 30, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
Let us use this column to talk a bit about how rumors got started back in the day and how they get started now.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
Gallo played 25 games in his first taste of the big leagues.
Jun 30, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT
Chris Bassitt will start in his place.
Jun 30, 2015, 2:31 PM EDT
No one is quite sure when All-Star third baseman David Wright will be back.
Jun 30, 2015, 1:48 PM EDT
Not that anyone really wants you to know it’s up for bid.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
He’s making $4.8 million.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
The old park housed the Eugene Emeralds until 2009
Jun 30, 2015, 12:02 PM EDT
Two men enter. One man leaves.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:26 AM EDT
I’d like to tell you a story about bullpen history and a young man named Tony La Russa.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
The majority of the baseball-watching world hasn’t seemed to notice yet.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Warren had a 3.59 ERA in 14 starts.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:25 AM EDT
And Chris Young was not too pleased about it.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:51 AM EDT
It goes far, far deeper than you ever could’ve imagined.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
One he gets past 45 pitches he turns every opposing hitter into Lou Gehrig.
Jun 30, 2015, 7:32 AM EDT
Mike Trout put on a clinic against the Yankees last night.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:23 AM EDT
We often take intentional walks for granted. Four tosses to the catcher. How hard can it be? Pretty hard, at least sometimes.
Jun 29, 2015, 11:45 PM EDT
Hamilton now has 40 stolen bases on the year, which is more than 15 MLB teams. You are reading that correctly.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 7
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 43
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)