Colby Rasmus: new attitude and “a little sumpin-sumpin”

Feb 24, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT

Blue Jays' Rasmus stretches during practice at their MLB American League spring training facility in Dunedin Reuters

The National Post has a long interview with Jays outfielder Colby Rasmus.  Lots of good stuff in there.  Most of it about how he’s changed his attitude after his horrible 2011 season.  About how he’s just going to play the game.  About how he wants his dad to be less negative (Hi, Mr. Rasmus! I know you’re reading!). And how being the Jays feels a lot more comfortable than being with the Cardinals did.

Unlike past comments, however, he’s not negative about Tony La Russa or the Cardinals. He sounds like someone who has thought a lot in the offseason and realizes that you can be kind of cocky when you have an OPS+ of 132 — his 2010 numbers — but you can’t when you’ve got an OPS+ of 37 — which is what he did after the trade to Toronto.

But as for the Cardinals playoff run, he had this to say:

What were you thinking when you were watching the Cardinals during their playoff run?
I didn’t watch it.

You weren’t rooting for them?
I was. I got a lot of friends on that team, a lot of guys I love and respect. I have no hard feelings towards anybody, you know? Just didn’t watch it. I was doing something else.

You’ll be getting a ring?
That’s what I hear, I don’t know. I’ll believe it when I see it.

Did you get your postseason share?
I got a little sumpin-sumpin.

That’s all we all want, isn’t it?  A little sumpin-sumpin?

1. cur68 - Feb 24, 2012 at 4:38 PM

When my comments finally resume being allowed back on this board I want this one to be there most of all: I have never heard of a grown person actually use the phrase “A little sumpin-sumpin” in the media before. Well, Colby Rasmus, I think its fair to say that we ALL want “A little sumpin-sumpin” and I’ll have mine handed over by Jessica Alba, thank you all so much.

Ok, meme decision time: that’s going to be the term for every Rasmus home run I see this season, and by dog I hope I make you all SICK of seeing me type that out.

• kopy - Feb 24, 2012 at 4:54 PM

• cur68 - Feb 25, 2012 at 12:12 AM

I can’t understand a word that young man is saying.

2. Jonny 5 - Feb 24, 2012 at 4:40 PM

I know this Sumpin- sumpin he speaks of. I used to get a little sumpin-sumpin pretty frequently. Now that I’m married with a kid I get a little sumpin-sumpin much much less frequently. Strange though the Cardinals bending over for him like that and giving him sumpin-sumpin even though he’s not around to take out the garbage anymore.

3. ditto65 - Feb 24, 2012 at 4:48 PM

The real question is: How does he feel about the Ryan Braun appeal decision?

• Gamera the Brave - Feb 24, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Right on, ditto – I am not ready to think about anything but the Braun issue.
      It’s just too fresh…
      Nothing else matters.

• jason1214 - Feb 24, 2012 at 5:29 PM

More importantly how will MLB clean the egg off their face…

• paperlions - Feb 24, 2012 at 5:31 PM

He didn’t watch it. He was rooting for him, he’s got friends over there; he was just….doing sumpin else.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 24, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I hope Braun didn’t give him the little sumpin sumpin. I don’t want Rasmus’ pee cup showing that sumpin sumpin later.

4. okwhitefalcon - Feb 24, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Alot more from Rasmus below from an interview with Davadi Shi of Sportsnet, seems to have been taken aback by everything from STL’s overly aggressive media (cough) to LaRussa and the coaches
    wanting him to stay busy and work hard (cough, cough)..

I wish there was an analytic to project drive and heart – or lack thereof.

Rasmus would be the bar to all those with easured.

SPORTSNET:

DUNEDIN, Fla. – Smiling, at ease, and with a shaggy new mane pouring out from his cap, Colby Rasmus very much seems like a new man this spring.

And the 25-year-old centre-fielder, someone who will very much be a focal point for the Toronto Blue Jays this season, attributes that to a comfort level with his new club he never had with his old one.

“No doubt,” he said Friday when told he seemed like a different guy. “I really never felt good in St. Louis. I always felt like I wasn’t … I don’t know. I was always so much younger than everybody else, and I just felt like I was never really, I guess you could say, a part of the team kind of.

“I never got comfortable, and Tony (La Russa, the former manager) wanted it that way. He always said he didn’t want me to get comfortable, he wanted me to always stay working hard and doing this and doing that. So I think that was one thing that might have hurt my game a little bit. …

“I think right now I’m in good shape and feeling good mentally, so we’ll see what happens down the road.”

Rasmus arrived in camp Thursday and greeted his teammates with a wide smile and big hugs, in sharp contrast to the quiet, reserved persona he showed last year after his trade deadline acquisition from the Cardinals by the Blue Jays.

Addressing the media Friday after workouts, he was as open, introspective and engaging as he’s been since the deal, and offered a window into what he felt went wrong for him in St. Louis, where he clashed with La Russa and the coaching staff.

Asked why things got so bad, he replied: “I don’t know, I guess I just said some things that rubbed people the wrong way. I don’t know really, it’s all about how you play. If I would have played good, it wouldn’t have mattered, but I didn’t play good and like blood in the water, they came after me. But it’s all good, I’m here today ready to play, I’m not worried about it.”

Rasmus is adamant life with the Blue Jays will be very different.

“It won’t be like St. Louis where I’m just the young little puppy and everybody wants to teach me the tricks and beat me down and tell me that I’m doing things wrong,” said Rasmus, adding later: “In St. Louis it just got to where I was so much just business, I was out there with no emotion, every day, I felt like I couldn’t, I just felt like everything I did was the wrong thing. If I showed emotion like I was happy, I wasn’t playing good enough so I could do that.”

He believes adjustments to his swing, minimizing a leg kick, “that might have been getting a little too crazy,” will help.

Hitting coach Dwayne Murphy met with him in Georgia about three weeks ago and came away thrilled with his progress and enthusiasm.”

Read more: http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=866736&start=0&sid=0e757ffdc3355a388fb48403ace45e3c#ixzz1nL0GTc41

5. proudlycanadian - Feb 24, 2012 at 4:58 PM

He is the “flavour” of the day in the local media. The Toronto Star web site just published a similar story with the same quotes. There is also a similar but shorter story on sportsnet.ca. Rasmus even pointed out that his father can sometimes be too negative. He is one player who needed time off to clear his head. He has been working on his batting stance and was also visited by hitting coach Duane Murphy who just wanted to see hoe he was progressing. Rasmus also had a comment about how great a team mate Bautista was.

• okwhitefalcon - Feb 24, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Enjoy the honeymoon because it won’t last.

That every so often flash of brilliance will be countered exponentially by counteless days of horrific fundamental baseball, lack of intensity, work ethic and general malaise.

• saints97 - Feb 24, 2012 at 5:47 PM

And then he will start blaming everyone in Toronto for his failures.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 24, 2012 at 5:53 PM

“Always with the negative waves Moriarity>”

6. crankyfrankie - Feb 24, 2012 at 7:22 PM

7. randygnyc - Feb 24, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I don’t believe he’s changed his attitude. Can’t even say, “I’ll believe it when I see it”. NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN

8. spudchukar - Feb 25, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Good Luck Colby, but I have heard all this before.

• paperlions - Feb 25, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Yep. Knowing what you need to do is good….it is the going out and doing it part he seems to struggle with.

9. cintiphil - Feb 27, 2012 at 9:57 AM

The problem is that it seems he still has a bad attitude in that he fails to see his pride in all of this. If he and daddy had listened to the cards coaches and manager, he may have amounted to sompin! However, I think he still feels that he knows more than all of the coaches in MLB, and certainly daddy does. Just with his attitude, I think he is destined to be just a small player in the game, and who knows for how long? My guess is that this will all play out in Toronto just as in St. Louis, and the career ends in a whimper.

• cintiphil - Feb 27, 2012 at 10:04 AM

And, I should say too, that if it is a MLB practice that he gets a ring, then give it to him. If I were in charge, I would not give a ring to a guy who gives up on you and quits half way through the season. But that is just me!

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3113)