Feb 24, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
Jerry Sands was awakened at 4:30 a.m. on Thursday by a phone call. The automated call was from the Johnston County School District in North Carolina, where the second-year outfielder worked as a substitute teacher in the off-season. He was informed there was a shift available.
“I have to call them and tell them I’m not in town,” Sands said.
I dunno. If Don Mattingly falls in love with Juan Rivera I suppose Sands may have some free time. But I bet riding the bench is better than subbing in, say, middle school. That has to be pure hell.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)