Feb 24, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
Jerry Sands was awakened at 4:30 a.m. on Thursday by a phone call. The automated call was from the Johnston County School District in North Carolina, where the second-year outfielder worked as a substitute teacher in the off-season. He was informed there was a shift available.
“I have to call them and tell them I’m not in town,” Sands said.
I dunno. If Don Mattingly falls in love with Juan Rivera I suppose Sands may have some free time. But I bet riding the bench is better than subbing in, say, middle school. That has to be pure hell.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 20
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)