Feb 24, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Manny Ramirez arrived at A’s camp in Phoenix today. After hitting several home runs in batting practice, he addressed the media. Among the things he had to say:
Manny was worried he might lose his family and his career last year and he found God and is working to turn life around. #Athletics
— Susan Slusser (@susanslusser) February 24, 2012
On the one hand: this is really cool. Though I’m not personally religious, I have seen how people can turn to God as a means of straightening their life out. Whether there really is some sort of divine intervention at work or, rather, it’s just about finding something — anything — with which and on which to focus their lives, I have no idea. But it can work. And given the sort of trouble Manny was having in his life in his career and with his family, good for him for finding something to turn things around.
On the other hand: poor God. I know He is all loving and all powerful, but it’s probably been some time since He’s had someone who can try His patience like Manny can. Manny is probably like that kid in Catholic school who asks if God can create a rock so large that even He Himself can’t move it, only x1000 and weirder.
“Are you there God? It’s me, Manny.”
“Um, sure, Manny. One moment. I just have to see a guy about a thing.”
[God runs away]
Here’s what Manny had to say to the media today, courtesy of CSNBayArea.com.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 23
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 26
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 84
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 15
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)