Feb 24, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Manny Ramirez arrived at A’s camp in Phoenix today. After hitting several home runs in batting practice, he addressed the media. Among the things he had to say:
Manny was worried he might lose his family and his career last year and he found God and is working to turn life around. #Athletics
— Susan Slusser (@susanslusser) February 24, 2012
On the one hand: this is really cool. Though I’m not personally religious, I have seen how people can turn to God as a means of straightening their life out. Whether there really is some sort of divine intervention at work or, rather, it’s just about finding something — anything — with which and on which to focus their lives, I have no idea. But it can work. And given the sort of trouble Manny was having in his life in his career and with his family, good for him for finding something to turn things around.
On the other hand: poor God. I know He is all loving and all powerful, but it’s probably been some time since He’s had someone who can try His patience like Manny can. Manny is probably like that kid in Catholic school who asks if God can create a rock so large that even He Himself can’t move it, only x1000 and weirder.
“Are you there God? It’s me, Manny.”
“Um, sure, Manny. One moment. I just have to see a guy about a thing.”
[God runs away]
Here’s what Manny had to say to the media today, courtesy of CSNBayArea.com.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)