Feb 24, 2012, 12:30 PM EST
Manny Ramirez arrived at A’s camp in Phoenix today. After hitting several home runs in batting practice, he addressed the media. Among the things he had to say:
Manny was worried he might lose his family and his career last year and he found God and is working to turn life around. #Athletics
— Susan Slusser (@susanslusser) February 24, 2012
On the one hand: this is really cool. Though I’m not personally religious, I have seen how people can turn to God as a means of straightening their life out. Whether there really is some sort of divine intervention at work or, rather, it’s just about finding something — anything — with which and on which to focus their lives, I have no idea. But it can work. And given the sort of trouble Manny was having in his life in his career and with his family, good for him for finding something to turn things around.
On the other hand: poor God. I know He is all loving and all powerful, but it’s probably been some time since He’s had someone who can try His patience like Manny can. Manny is probably like that kid in Catholic school who asks if God can create a rock so large that even He Himself can’t move it, only x1000 and weirder.
“Are you there God? It’s me, Manny.”
“Um, sure, Manny. One moment. I just have to see a guy about a thing.”
[God runs away]
Here’s what Manny had to say to the media today, courtesy of CSNBayArea.com.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)