Feb 24, 2012, 12:30 PM EST
Manny Ramirez arrived at A’s camp in Phoenix today. After hitting several home runs in batting practice, he addressed the media. Among the things he had to say:
Manny was worried he might lose his family and his career last year and he found God and is working to turn life around. #Athletics
— Susan Slusser (@susanslusser) February 24, 2012
On the one hand: this is really cool. Though I’m not personally religious, I have seen how people can turn to God as a means of straightening their life out. Whether there really is some sort of divine intervention at work or, rather, it’s just about finding something — anything — with which and on which to focus their lives, I have no idea. But it can work. And given the sort of trouble Manny was having in his life in his career and with his family, good for him for finding something to turn things around.
On the other hand: poor God. I know He is all loving and all powerful, but it’s probably been some time since He’s had someone who can try His patience like Manny can. Manny is probably like that kid in Catholic school who asks if God can create a rock so large that even He Himself can’t move it, only x1000 and weirder.
“Are you there God? It’s me, Manny.”
“Um, sure, Manny. One moment. I just have to see a guy about a thing.”
[God runs away]
Here’s what Manny had to say to the media today, courtesy of CSNBayArea.com.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)